Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Is this normal for now?

Chopper, the link is directly to the page that shows the Pflex device. They are the manufacturers. You would have to contact them to find out how to purchase one. We order them in bulk from them.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    RR, I presume you needed the nebulizer because of the level of your injury?
    If you can cough normally, you must have something working below your injury level...I still cannot cough normally, but then I cannot move a single thing below injury.
    They were worried of anything developing because my records showed I was asthmatic. However at the time of my accident I was probably fitter than I'd been for almost 10 years. I was running 20 miles a week and hadn't taken asthma meds for months. They were also freaked that my heart rate was so low and repeatedly ran tests until they concluded that I was generally quite fit...wish I still was!
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    They were worried of anything developing because my records showed I was asthmatic. However at the time of my accident I was probably fitter than I'd been for almost 10 years. I was running 20 miles a week and hadn't taken asthma meds for months. They were also freaked that my heart rate was so low and repeatedly ran tests until they concluded that I was generally quite fit...wish I still was!
    Ah, thanks for explaining. Have you ever been hospitalized because of asthma?

Bloody hell - you were running 20 miles a week!?
    And now you would be grateful just to be able to move a toe.

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Ah, thanks for explaining. Have you ever been hospitalized because of asthma?

Bloody hell - you were running 20 miles a week!?
    And now you would be grateful just to be able to move a toe.
    No. My asthma was mild - even when I got vdrunk and robbed people's cigs

It's ironic. Was a fat kid...teased through school. Skinny teenager (discovered smoking and girls), fit into early 20s.......started making money...desk job...weight shot up to 17 stone! Had just lost over three stone through diet and exercise when my accident happened - had already shelled out on new wardrobe and was ideal 13.5 stone weight. Now I feel like the fat kid again
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Not only can Mike not cough good, but his voice isn't even the same. I am goona look into the plex. Keps, when you say it was terrifying, I think that might be the root cause of Mike's anxiety.

I can't find any info how to buy the pflex??
    Last edited by ChopperChick; 06-06-2006 at 01:07 PM.

have mike take an extra puff before he passes
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Ha.... I gave away his brownies this weekend........

From the web site, to find a distributor, contact Respironics Customer Service at 1-800-345-6443.

(KLD)

chopper,
    Did Mike have a trach?
    I had 2 bouts of peuniomia while in ICU and a tracheotomy after having a breathing tube down my throat for awhile. While in rehab I was constanly coughing b/c the trach irriated my throat. Even with quad coughing I couldn't get anything up so I was suctioned alot. I had very little lung capacity at that point and my voice had significantly changed. Since I got home my diaphram has strengthened and I have pretty good lung capacity. The doctors were afraid that my diaphram was partially paralyzed b/c of my injury level - T7.
    The speech therapist was worried that they had damaged my vocal chords b/c my voice had changed so much. We did the tests and they seem to work fine but my voice has been slow to return. One of the things that helped my voice the most was having one of my PTs do scar massage on my trach wound. It really, really hurt but the pain was worth the gain. I can almost hit the same high notes I use too.(much to my husband's dismay)
    There are alot of things that could have caused the change in his voice and it will probably get better w/ time but you may want to talk to a speech therapist about the changes no matter how weird it may seem.
    Good Luck and it does get better with time.
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis