Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal for now?

tell him he has to begin hs physical therapy at home. (stretching,massaging) try to keep him as active as possible. He's gonna be hesitant but you can convince him!!! I know how tired you are, but don't forget about you. If you are not 100% how are you gonna be good for anyone else! when he rest, you rest! As far as the house if it's messy leave it be untill you are fully energized. it's messy not dirty, there is a diffrence. one thing I have realized is that sometimes all they need is to be held, and reminded that you are still here!!!!!

You said that he doesn't start outpatient therapy for a while. I had at-home therapy for the 2 weeks in between the hospital and when my outpatient started. It was through a visiting nurse organization. The hospital set it up for me before discharge.

As far a him wanting to lie down when he is tired, why not? I found it was so nice when I was home to be in control of my own schedule for a change. If I was hungry I could eat, if I wanted to go outside I could etc. Not having someone tell me what to do and when was great. A half hour nap mid day might make all the difference .... especially if he is up until 3 am! (I am a night owl too ....) Now if he just wants to spend all the day in bed that is a different story, and you are right to push to keep him up.
    Last edited by sjean423; 05-22-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Since I lived over 60 miles from the rehab center the PTs and OTs wouldn't drive that far to assess and suggest accessibility modifications that needed to be done to the house I'd be living in.

When I first got home from the rehab I had to take a hammer and screw driver to remove the molding around the bedroom door in order to get my chair through it. And had to get onto the floor and scoot in order to get into the bath tub/shower. I was quite healthy and strong when I left the rehab.... and only weighed 145lbs at 6' 1". Ah, the good old days when I could do floor to chair transfers!

It was an older house and made of stone.... even the insides of it so not very easy to make alterations to. In about 6 months we moved into a somewhat wheelchair accessible apartment and that made things a lot easier.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Give him a few days and then park him in front of the computer and tell him it is time to learn how to use it. Then put something in the back of the chair so he can't move and just go off out of hearing range for a while and leave him.

Talking to other people about their adventures and misadventures really helps a lot. It is hard to believe the way I can laugh about the stupid things I got stuck on 26 years ago. Sooner or later he needs to accumulate his own collection of stories to share.

We have all had messy accidents, we have all had wet accidents.

oops

Chopper,

After reading some of your other posts, I realize I was wrong when I told you to just let him lay down when he wants too. I didn't realize how little time he was spending in the chair. You are right to keep him up more, he needs to build up stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Chopper,

After reading some of your other posts, I realize I was wrong when I told you to just let him lay down when he wants too. I didn't realize how little time he was spending in the chair. You are right to keep him up more, he needs to build up stamina.
    Definitely. I used to make myself stay up and push around in hosp. Too easy to rot in bed unless you have to.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Chopperchick, I would say that spending most of the time in bed won't be doing Mike's blood pressure any favours. It could reduce his tolerance to sitting up.

Also, at T6, I think he needs to exert himself regularly, to strengthen his diaphragm.
    I have a T4 injury, and my lung capacity is somewhat reduced as a result. I make sure I exert myself every so often, to strengthen my chest, as it is not good to let it weaken when it can be prevented.

Tell Mike we are all waiting for him here, and he has to speak to us!

How is it going?

How is the chair time coming?

Chopperchick,

I was completely vile for the first week I was home to my family and boyfriend, everything upset me but I finally snapped out of it when I got some good sleep, since sleeping in the hospital/rehab was no exsistant. The more you can get him to try on his own the better he'll start to feel. Even if it's jus asking him to get up in his chair and talk to you while you clean the dishes or watch a movie together. It's easy to get to the point of just staying in bed because it's easy but the more time up the better the bowel program normally goes, and the better he'll feel in the long run. Once Pt starts he might get a little better since he'll be learning how to do more and more himself. Good luck, and be patient--but don't forget to take care of yourself. You're no good to him if you're not rested. Do something for yourself --even if it's a hour just to go get your hair done or go to the grocery store.

Nicole

Keps, you touched on something.... Lung capacity. He can hardly cough or blow his nose or anything. At T5/6 will that come back??

Also, I went to the grocery store and left him alone today!!!! Things are getting a little easuer day vy day like everyone has said they would