Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can help improve recovery in a walking quad?

I was wrong it not serotonin, it's melotonin. oops!

Hey Dr. Young, after taking 4-ap would your muscle strength stay like that? Or you would have to keep taking 4-ap? Like after you stiop taking it would your muscle loss it's strength agian?

Blog Entries

Spinal stimulation

Wise,
    Happy new year! Dec 31 brought me a black balloon birthday so I’m thinking a bit of recovery might help ease this aging thing.

Re your section above on spinal stim, I’m wondering:
    1. I am desperate to tame my spasticity and spasms and clonus, and am soon to do a spinal stim trial for other things with a regular Medtronics stimulator. Is there a spinal level you think I might try to decrease the tone-spasms-clonus, either with Medtronics or another stimulator that’s available?
    2. Can the low frequency waves you mentioned for stimulating the locomotor pattern generator be achieved with a Medtronics stimulator or would I need another? How different is epidural stim from regular stim? If I can convince my pretty talented doctor to try it, do you think he’d be able to figure it out, or is it a really specialized thing to those sites doing it? I think he’s planning T11 or T12 for something else.

Thanks. And congratulations! I’m so sad I missed your investiture (or so) ceremony. (Yup, I got a few months behind.)
    Randy

I posted elsewhere on same topic. I am a C5-C6 with Brown-Sequard (weaker on one side) and central cord syndrom (weaker top than bottom.) I walked fairly quickly, within a month or two. I did have significant issues with spasticity and more prominently hyperreflexia. The road to where I am on has been a long one. I must say that in the early days the best therapy for me was pool therapy. It allowed me to exercise without my spasticity kicking in. I then joined a gym and began doing water aerobics. My partner there was 90 years old. We did well together as we had similar abilities. Around year 6 I started walking with a coworker to lose weight. We walked 2 and 1/2 miles, and she would not slow down for me. I dragged my foot around for about two months and ruined two pairs of walking shoes by wearing out the toes. Eventually I learned to keep up with her and learned to keep my foot from dragging (I still have a markedly abnormal gait.) In 2005 I started doing spin classes at the gym which was great as my feet were locked in and I couldn't fall over. I eventually transitioned to long distance cycling and completed my first 100 mile ride. After that a friend of mine encouraged me to sign up for an all female triathlon training program. I never thought that I could run, but I learned how. Most people walk faster than I run, but I try. My goal this summer is to do an olympic length traithlon before the 10th anniversary of my accident. That would be 3/4 mile swim, 24 mile bike and 6 mile run (or walk.) It has taken patience and grit to get to this. I still suffer greatly. Spasticity coes in waves and I sleep 10 hours a day, but I am enthralled by pushing my body to the limits. I just wish that I knew other woman like me doing the same thing so I could compare notes.

Blog Entries
    Kittyshrine,
    Oh how i wish i could compare triathalon notes with you! But I'll settle for inspiration about what still could be. So glad you're pulling off all you are!

I am also interested in 4-AP. I am doing really well but suffer severe bouts of fatigue during the week from the workouts that I do. To prepare for the triathlons I have to work out at least 4-5 days a week. I am working out with a beginning triathlon group so its not too bad, but somedays I am so exhausted I miss work. My muscles fatigue and my left foot drags. Sometimes its the heat that gets me. On other days with the same temp, humidity, I sweat and am fine. Another problem I have is "bonking." I do not seem to be able to regulate my metabolism and seem to need to use a high sugar concentrate gu at frequent intervals. I really want to find a peer or group of peers, people with similar injuries and funtional levels who can trade info with me on their experiences with trying to be an athlete. I don't mean to put out anyone who is struggling right now. I hve struggled in my own right. Now I guess I am carrying the torch for everyone but feel very much alone.

Blog Entries
    Wise, I’m so sorry to torment you but unless my doctor learns something about this at his conference Wednesday, you’re my last hope. Can you think of a level he might stim for pain that might also ease tone-spasms-clonus? He’s using an Advanced Bionics stimulator now (controlyourpain.com).

And if I understand right, all stim goes to the epidural space.

Quote Originally Posted by Random
    Wise,
    Happy new year! Dec 31 brought me a black balloon birthday so I’m thinking a bit of recovery might help ease this aging thing.

Re your section above on spinal stim, I’m wondering:
    1. I am desperate to tame my spasticity and spasms and clonus, and am soon to do a spinal stim trial for other things with a regular Medtronics stimulator. Is there a spinal level you think I might try to decrease the tone-spasms-clonus, either with Medtronics or another stimulator that’s available?
    2. Can the low frequency waves you mentioned for stimulating the locomotor pattern generator be achieved with a Medtronics stimulator or would I need another? How different is epidural stim from regular stim? If I can convince my pretty talented doctor to try it, do you think he’d be able to figure it out, or is it a really specialized thing to those sites doing it? I think he’s planning T11 or T12 for something else.

Thanks. And congratulations! I’m so sad I missed your investiture (or so) ceremony. (Yup, I got a few months behind.)
    Randy

Excellent Recovery, but now regression

Hi:

I was lucky with good recovery with walking and good movement with the ability to run, bike and swim. I also have a cyst in my cord at C6. For some reason I have periods of increased spasticity, drop foot and increased clumsiness. It often happes with changes in my psychiatric drugs. Many of the drugs are seratonin reuptake inhibitors. One was an atypical anti-psychotic. I guess these drugs do have an effect. I had a bike accident in AUgust and have not been able to work out and my spasticity has increased and my fatigue is high. I am hoping I am just out of shape. I can't seem to overcome the fatigue.

You have to keep taking the 4-AP in my experience.

Good job yall. I'm trying to get my strength back (BrownSequard, c5-6) after a muscle wasting disease. I can walk .18 (point 18) on my treadmill now. It's slow going. I don't know what it will take to walk with crutches again. More PT prolly. Sigh...I'm in no danger of being a triathlete, but I never was LOL. Good luck Kittyshrine!

Anyone know if I can get Spinal Cord stimulation done in Chicago?

Maybe RIC, my doctor there is Dr. Chen
    Last edited by mj23; 12-10-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: ..
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery