Thread: extreme burning from TM

extreme burning from TM

HI new symptoms, can anyone help , i am 7months from having idiopathic TM and from what my doctors have told me my leissions are t8 and t10 after 4 months the only problems i was left with were, hot and cold spots in my right leg some numbness , spasms in my legs , bladder and bowel control problems, my right foot would go numb when it wanted to, and a whole lot of back pain. now from my rib cage down to my feet i have complete burning it feels like the worst sunburn you could ever have, i feel like i have vibraters in my legs, and the bottom of my feet are numb, i am also starting to have spasms and tingling in my fingers and i seem to be dropping everything i touch , does this sound like it may be a new occurance of TM happening ,? can anyone tell me anything that may help please.
    Last edited by sherrie1964; 05-17-2006 at 03:08 AM.

It's hard to tell Sherrie. Please see your neurologist as soon as possible. I do know that many with the burning pain following TM get relief frrom Marinol. Again, you'll need to see your neurologist for this.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by sherrie1964
    HI new symptoms, can anyone help , i am 7months from having idiopathic TM and from what my doctors have told me my leissions are t8 and t10 after 4 months the only problems i was left with were, hot and cold spots in my right leg some numbness , spasms in my legs , bladder and bowel control problems, my right foot would go numb when it wanted to, and a whole lot of back pain. now from my rib cage down to my feet i have complete burning it feels like the worst sunburn you could ever have, i feel like i have vibraters in my legs, and the bottom of my feet are numb, i am also starting to have spasms and tingling in my fingers and i seem to be dropping everything i touch , does this sound like it may be a new occurance of TM happening ,? can anyone tell me anything that may help please.
    sherrie,

Like all injuries of the spinal cord, TM can cause neuropathic pain. Because TM is rare, the incidence of neuropathic pain after TM is not well documented. I, however, suspect that the incidence of type of neuropathic pain may be similar to multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury. The "burning pain" that you describe is very similar to some have described for both MS and SCI. Likewise, the vibratory sensations that you describe sometimes occur and is a form of sensory dyesthesia that occurs after injuries to the spinal cord.

The symptoms that you describe don't really sound like progressive TM. In general, TM should cause sensory and motor deficits below a level that can change. The symptoms that you describe in your fingers raises the question whether you may have some other problem Spasms and tingling are non-specific and can be a result hyperventilation. It is hard to say. Have you noticed other symptoms such as visual or eye movement problems?

A recent study suggest a possible diagnostic approach to the question whether a person is getting progressive TM. Kaplin, et al. (2005) described increases of IL-6 (interleukin-6) in people who are getting progressive TM.

Wise.
    [*] Kaplin AI, Deshpande DM, Scott E, Krishnan C, Carmen JS, Shats I, Martinez T, Drummond J, Dike S, Pletnikov M, Keswani SC, Moran TH, Pardo CA, Calabresi PA and Kerr DA (2005). IL-6 induces regionally selective spinal cord injury in patients with the neuroinflammatory disorder transverse myelitis. J Clin Invest 115: 2731-41. Transverse myelitis (TM) is an immune-mediated spinal cord disorder associated with inflammation, demyelination, and axonal damage. We investigated the soluble immune derangements present in TM patients and found that IL-6 levels were selectively and dramatically elevated in the cerebrospinal fluid and directly correlated with markers of tissue injury and sustained clinical disability. IL-6 was necessary and sufficient to mediate cellular injury in spinal cord organotypic tissue culture sections through activation of the JAK/STAT pathway, resulting in increased activity of iNOS and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP). Rats intrathecally infused with IL-6 developed progressive weakness and spinal cord inflammation, demyelination, and axonal damage, which were blocked by PARP inhibition. Addition of IL-6 to brain organotypic cultures or into the cerebral ventricles of adult rats did not activate the JAK/STAT pathway, which is potentially due to increased expression of soluble IL-6 receptor in the brain relative to the spinal cord that may antagonize IL-6 signaling in this context. The spatially distinct responses to IL-6 may underlie regional vulnerability of different parts of the CNS to inflammatory injury. The elucidation of this pathway identifies specific therapeutic targets in the management of CNS autoimmune conditions. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=16184194