Thread: Genius at Work

Genius at Work

quote: long1 if u have time. somebody will finally get it right and cure us. when? that's a million dollar question.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Initially, Collins and Gardner focused on trying to develop artificial materials and devices to try to repair the spinal cord after injury. But after a year or so of research they began to suspect that the available artificial technology wasn't sufficiently flexible to interact with the massively complex biological, chemical, and electrical processes of the human nervous system. Perhaps, they reasoned, rather than introduce an artificial technology into the cells, they might engineer the cells themselves — and, eventually, grow the nerves back. With the support of DeLisi and Charles Cantor, who was chairman of the biomedical engineering department, Collins and Gardner expanded their research into genetic engineering.

http://www.bu.edu/alumni/bostonia/20...ins/index.html

Manouli,

Thanks for posting. I must say that I have long been skeptical about the ability of artificial materials to stimulate the growth of axons, until I recently saw the results of Xuguong Zhang's (from MIT) self-assemblying peptides. It was impressive and I am quite enthusiastic about the possibility. Advances are being made in the biomaterials arena that are quite impressive and I am watching the field with great interest. It is good to know that many of the premier bioengineering departments in the country are beginning to take on this task. We are beginning to work with some of them at the Rutgers, those who are advanced enough to start testing materials.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Manouli,

Thanks for posting. I must say that I have long been skeptical about the ability of artificial materials to stimulate the growth of axons, until I recently saw the results of Xuguong Zhang's (from MIT) self-assemblying peptides. It was impressive and I am quite enthusiastic about the possibility. Advances are being made in the biomaterials arena that are quite impressive and I am watching the field with great interest. It is good to know that many of the premier bioengineering departments in the country are beginning to take on this task. We are beginning to work with some of them at the Rutgers, those who are advanced enough to start testing materials.

Wise.
    Dr. Young, thank you very much for being an open minded doctor. manouli