Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: apple's new notebook line

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?
    Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Russ, you are correct. It looks like Intel will be dropping the code name "Conroe" and "Merom" for the "Core 2 Duo." Not that long ago I had heard/read that these processors would be released in December 2006 but it may be sooner. The "Core 2 Duo" coupled with the Parallel Virtualization developed by the Russian programmers will eliminate the need for dual booting and there should not be any drop in performance. You will simply double-click the icon on your desktop to switch over to Windows XP, Mac OS X, Linux etc.
    PN, forgive me but this is all greek to me. Should I wait to buy a mini until this hapens? Can you tell me what "this" is so I can express it to my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by singin_intherain
    PN, forgive me but this is all greek to me. Should I wait to buy a mini until this hapens? Can you tell me what "this" is so I can express it to my friend?
    Hello Singing,

If the next generation of Intel Processors is going to be released in December of 2006, then I would recommend not waiting. After these new processors come out, one would probably want to wait at least one month to make sure that there are no bugs before purchasing. As recommended by cspanos, I like the Mac Mini Core Duo model with 1GB of RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive. You can still do the Parallel virtualization with only a slight drop in performance if you want to run Windows XP on your new Mac. The other option is to do a dual boot and this way you will select which operating system you want to use when the computer starts up. This will also mean that you will have to have a full version of Windows XP with SP-2 and then you will go through Apple's Boot Camp. I haven't heard any complaints among Intel Mac users who are running Parallels' virtualization software. Bottom line: if you need it now, don't wait.