Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apple's new notebook line

apple's new notebook line

13" macbook out today. 15" + 17" macbook pro as you already know.

www.apple.com

Awesome! I have a 12" G4 iBook as a backup to my iMac, and I love it. Macs are expensive, but they do have some quality stuff at lower prices with the Mac Mini and the MacBook picking up where the iBook left off. You can still get PowerPC based iBooks and PowerBooks, but I think if I were buying new, I'd lean toward the Intel based Mac laptops.

Are apps compatible on the new Macbook and Macbookpro?
    Daniel

Dan, that's a good question! Because I have a lot of expensive Adobe design software I'd want to install on a new Intel based Mac once I get one (eventually) and I'm not sure if I can. I'd hate to have to upgrade the software. I know software released with the "Universal" logo will work on both Intel based Macs and PowerPC based Macs, but I'm not sure if stuff we have on our current PowerPC based Macs can just be copied and run on a new Mac. I hope so, but since I'm not in the market for a new machine just yet, I haven't read up on it.

Not a *huge* amount of money, per se, but I've spent a significant amount on software for my powerbook g4 (about 14 months old right now). While a new laptop would be great, I'd rather not be replacing all my software right away.
    Daniel

This definitely works for my mom ($1,099.00) and I'm glad it is a Core Duo but I think she will want the AppleCare Protection Plan at $249. I am going to wait for Intel to release the "Merom" for mobile computers, or the "Conroe" for desktop computers before buying one of these new Macs.

i want the Intel power tower mac. or a revicion b Intel imac hopefully with a VESA mount so i can hang it on the wall or a auto pole.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    This definitely works for my mom ($1,099.00) and I'm glad it is a Core Duo but I think she will want the AppleCare Protection Plan at $249. I am going to wait for Intel to release the "Merom" for mobile computers, or the "Conroe" for desktop computers before buying one of these new Macs.
    Paul, aren't they calling those processors something like the Core 2 Duo or something now? When are they supposed to be coming out?

$1099.00 is a damn good price, in my opinion, and I bet your Mom will love the MacBook. I agree with buying the AppleCare Protection Plan. I learned the hard way how good an investment that is when my iMac had trouble just after my 1-Year warranty ran out. Ouch! And never ever go to the MacCenter in Ft. Lauderdale for your Mac repairs (it's an independent store, not an Apple store).

Most apple apps are now available to run natively on the intel line.

Adobe apps are waiting until their next release for native support. Until that time, their apps will run either slowly or not at all on the intel Macs. They have committed to (I believe it is Creative Suite 3 / CS3) supporting macs with universal binaries (macspeak for runs on intel and power PC)

-- JB

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Paul, aren't they calling those processors something like the Core 2 Duo or something now? When are they supposed to be coming out?
    Russ, you are correct. It looks like Intel will be dropping the code name "Conroe" and "Merom" for the "Core 2 Duo." Not that long ago I had heard/read that these processors would be released in December 2006 but it may be sooner. The "Core 2 Duo" coupled with the Parallel Virtualization developed by the Russian programmers will eliminate the need for dual booting and there should not be any drop in performance. You will simply double-click the icon on your desktop to switch over to Windows XP, Mac OS X, Linux etc.

This Week In Tech 49
    Last edited by PN; 05-17-2006 at 09:19 PM.