Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Rummerfield to race in the 4-Desert Race

Latest in on Pat Rummerfield in the Gobi Desert March!

May 28, Camp Strange Stone - Patrick Rummerfield crosses the finish line of Stage 1 at 1:48am. All safe and sound at camp.

NRGized
    www.energeticfitness.net

NRGized, if you see Pat, can you congratulate him for me? I am so impressed by what he is doing. Wise.

Pat Rummerfield finishes stage 3 @ Gobi Desert March!

Pat finished stage 3! Picture of the finish line:

Yay, Pat. I got to know him a bit during Working 2 Walk planning and met him in person at the event. He's terrific--I swear the guy has zero ego; super approachable.

Metro--John McDonald, MD told a little of Pats' recovery story at the Kennedy Krieger Open House on 5/01. It's quite amazing. Dr. McDonald also showed Pats' MRI where one can clearly see only 15% of his spinal cord is functioning through his injury site.

Go Pat!

I've met him a couple times, most recently at the DC Rally. He inspires me to keep trying to get more than I've got. Right now I can't imagine doing even a tenth of what he's doing, but then it wasn't that long ago that I could hardly imagine doing what I do now. So onward and upward!!

i;, gettin gkijke a wet blanket

i believe he's a amazing person, and the fact that he was at the dc rally is a higher bump in my book.
    i am just so cynical nowadays, i hate to discount people that achieved so much with their lives, but i just feel that there are plenty of people here that have tried very hard to be just independent, and havent succeeded, so i when i see someone running the iron man, i am wondering he was very lucky that the 85% of his spinal cord that is not working was not really needed. i am sure there are people here that had impact on 10% and lost more function ..
    i am not sure if i making myself clear, but having met a lot of you i know that you all work hard at your recovery..except for clc he should leran to eat pancakes
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    i believe he's a amazing person, and the fact that he was at the dc rally is a higher bump in my book.
    i am just so cynical nowadays, i hate to discount people that achieved so much with their lives, but i just feel that there are plenty of people here that have tried very hard to be just independent, and havent succeeded, so i when i see someone running the iron man, i am wondering he was very lucky that the 85% of his spinal cord that is not working was not really needed. i am sure there are people here that had impact on 10% and lost more function ..
    i am not sure if i making myself clear, but having met a lot of you i know that you all work hard at your recovery..except for clc he should leran to eat pancakes
    It seems obvious to me that the guy had the recovery potential to be where he is now, not taking anything from his achievments like I would not for anyone injured or not, but not giving more credit either, ready to be flamed now
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Pat Rummerfield is the man! Add another one to his success list!

6/3/2006 2:11:51 AM - June 3, Finish Line, 12pm - All competitors have crossed the finish line of the Gobi March 2006. The finish line was located in a wheat field overlooking a canyon in a Uygur village complete with dancers and music.

Pat Rummerfield is the man!

Finished the Gobi March leg of the 4-desert race!
    Way to go Pat!

NRGized
    www.energeticfitness.net

Way to go Pat, I am proud to call you a friend.
    Pat is one of the most genuine and humble folks I have ever met. He is dealing with some of the aging aspects of SCI and keeps on going. He is also always willing to reach out and encourage others who are having a rough time. He is so committed to raising awareness that SCI can be treated and folks can improve.

All the way Pat, be smart, and be safe.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Inspirational guy.

I hear ye metro. Not to take anything away from PR or anyone who's worked as hard and recovered as much but there are many, many (hundreds) of sci victims who have tried every possible means to regain function and have failed.

I've tried everything from GM1 when I was first injured, to 4AP, E-stim, gaiting programs, Project Walk and subsequent personal training, Ergys, etc. Granted I've gotten stronger and healthier but recovery of neurological function ~ nada. As a former lifetime competitive athlete and pro cyclist I believe that I've tried to recover with exercise induced connectivity. At this point (came to this conclusion a couple of yrs ago) my spinal cord is going to need some assistance in conductivity either biologically or technically. Personally I'm not sure which is going to benefit us the earliest or the best but technology (nano, etc.) is making some serious strides whereas biology (lack of clinical trials) is stagnated.

As sad as it is the one benefit of the war with many soldiers suffering and surviving neurological (SCI) and physical (amputations, etc.) injuries is that technology is making progress at a very accelerated pace.

I think that the question will become which avenue of choice is worth pursuing: Biology or Technology?

Apologies for the digression of the thread. Oh, and by the way, I learned early on that we only need 10% of our spinal cord intact to function normally. The challenge, at least as I see it, is which 10%?

Onward and upward ~ kudos to PR