Thread: Liane: spinal cord infarct and Novosibirsk

Liane: spinal cord infarct and Novosibirsk

Dr. Wise, I recently wrote to the Novosibirsk Clinic to inquire if I could be a
    candidate for cell-based therapy. I wrote them that I had a "spinal cord infarct" 3.5 years ago and that I have a lesion from T-5 to T-7. I received the following reply:

"Unfortunately, according to our experience, posthypoxic brain injuries are not usually ameliorated by cell-based therapy."

I am totally confused by the response. Was something lost in translation or do they consider the spinal cord and the brain as one unit. Please help me
    understand.,

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Weeks
    Dr. Wise, I recently wrote to the Novosibirsk Clinic to inquire if I could be a
    candidate for cell-based therapy. I wrote them that I had a "spinal cord infarct" 3.5 years ago and that I have a lesion from T-5 to T-7. I received the following reply:

"Unfortunately, according to our experience, posthypoxic brain injuries are not usually ameliorated by cell-based therapy."

I am totally confused by the response. Was something lost in translation or do they consider the spinal cord and the brain as one unit. Please help me
    understand.,
    Liane,

This may be a problem of communicating in English with Russians. This is a significant problem. For about 50 years, Russian doctors simply did not get English in medical school, of course our Russian is terrible, and many translators don't get it right. Perhaps there is someboday who can help you write an email in Russian and translate the answer.

The specific problem may be mistranslation of the word "infarct" which they may have thought is hypoxic brain injury, even though you specified spinal cord infarct. Their reply, however, appears to be quite definitive. However, it does seem that their experience with use of cell transplants for post-hypoxic brain injury was not positive.

Wise.