Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloves or No Gloves?

Gloves or No Gloves?

I use gloves when I roll. The only time I don't use them is when I am in my house, at work, or if I am dressed up and basically stationary. I don't see how people don't use them. I forgot them one day and by the time I got home I had 3 blisters. I am C8 and use the hand rims when I push. How does everyone else do it?

Blog Entries
    I push on my tires rather than the handrims most of the time, as my hands are big and its tough grabbing those scrawny handrims without loosing a thumb while pushing.
    I RARELY wear gloves, unless I'm going to the store, or it's raining and I'll be on pavement. Around the house inside and out, never unless it's cold.
    I've used maybe 4 pairs of gloves in 10 years and still have two of them. My sis bought them for me,lol. I have quick access to the hose outside and sink inside if I am gonna need washing.
    I worked with machinery all my life and have ate many a meal with grease as a condiment,lol. I've always had calloused hands and can't remember having a blister.

I wear em just because I'm a germ-a-phobe. Another mitigating factor is my 5 y/o son. Everytime we go to a restaraunt without fail he has to pee. This means I have to take him to the restroom and god only knows what all that liquid on the floor is. It drives me nuts to have to go in there but I have no choice. So the gloves act as a sort of buffer between me and the mens room floor.

Ever since I've started using sailing gloves I've discovered yet another benefit, I get much better traction on the push rims with these gloves. So much so that I really don't even need to grip the rim. All I have to do is apply pressure to the rim and off I go. The gloves are that tacky against the rim, it's almost like they're velcro'd to it. Once they're wet all bets are off tho...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

I don't use gloves. I usually push using the tire instead of the rim. It seems I get better pushes that way. I have a lotion obsession though. I have a bottle of lotion and antibacterial hand gel on me all the time. The first thing I do when I get to my destination is put it on. I haven't had any blisters and my hands are pretty soft. So not wearing gloves hasnt been any problem for me.
    Last edited by gurly2356; 05-12-2006 at 10:22 PM.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

i think it depends on your activities. stay in the house, no. outside, yep, especially with all the butts and bubblegum, know wut i'm sayin'.
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Out in our petro drenched environment: gloves. Inside my house unless into an activity that makes it otherwise: no gloves.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

I'm a C5/6 incomplete...
    Outdoors - yes
    Indoors - not usually

It is a personal preference....There is no right/wrong answer....

only on major trips like if i'm going to disneyland or somewhere that i know i'll be hitting a bunch of hills. i use rubber rims which do sometimes make my hands black, but not too bad.

i used to wear gloves all the time but i have quit using them. i hated taking them on/off every time i get to class. i have the vinyl coated push rims and i push on those with bare hands. i dont get blisters but my palms are dry and calloused.

moe, could you post a pic of the sailing gloves? or a link or something. never seen them.

Inside @ home no, everywhere else I wear gloves. I work at a car dealership, don't want to roll through the shop, too many chemicals, I'm also a germophobe, bathrooms w/ out gloves skeeve me out.

For those of you who don't wear gloves, how do you brake/slow down w/out beating on your hands?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill