Thread: Multiple Sclerosis: New Insights and Trends

Multiple Sclerosis: New Insights and Trends

http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/27/5/954

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/27/5/954
    Max, thanks for posting this. I am moving this over to the TM and MS forum so that more people can see it.

Wise.

Arrow

Always welcome, Wise

Wise, I have some special interest in this topic because a family member was recently diagnosed with MS. Also in my practice I see occasional MS patients. I feel very fortunate to also be able to work with a CMT clinic, which I believe has almost as high of prevalence as MS in the United States (I know that CMT patients find many different ways to communicate via the internet but they may also have interest in a forum such as this).

My questions about MS are; is there also an indication of prevalence the farther away from the equator or is that myth?
    Here’s where I’m going to take a bit of a leap; I’m aware that in Scotland some research is being done on cancer of the cervix and that they have been able to link that particular type of cancer to a virus, which is encouraging because of the hope for immunization. That being said has there been any suggestion that a virus could be the pathology for MS, TM etc. ? Is Research being done in this area somewhere, specifically viral connection? Could it be conceivable that most pathology are ultimately either viral, bacterial, or genetically inherited/mutated?

I’m sorry if my little bit of knowledge isn’t making exact sense, I appreciate your clarity on my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthotic Guy
    Wise, I have some special interest in this topic because a family member was recently diagnosed with MS. Also in my practice I see occasional MS patients. I feel very fortunate to also be able to work with a CMT clinic, which I believe has almost as high of prevalence as MS in the United States (I know that CMT patients find many different ways to communicate via the internet but they may also have interest in a forum such as this).

My questions about MS are; is there also an indication of prevalence the farther away from the equator or is that myth?
    Here’s where I’m going to take a bit of a leap; I’m aware that in Scotland some research is being done on cancer of the cervix and that they have been able to link that particular type of cancer to a virus, which is encouraging because of the hope for immunization. That being said has there been any suggestion that a virus could be the pathology for MS, TM etc. ? Is Research being done in this area somewhere, specifically viral connection? Could it be conceivable that most pathology are ultimately either viral, bacterial, or genetically inherited/mutated?

I’m sorry if my little bit of knowledge isn’t making exact sense, I appreciate your clarity on my questions.
    Orthotic,

There have been hundreds of studies concerning the epidemiology of multiple sclerosis and attempts to find out the a viral or other causes of the condition. While there have been many speculations and theories, none have been convincing to date.

Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease. It is associated with immune attack of the myelin. For many years, it was thought to be solely a disease of myelin but several studies in the late 1990's revealed that demyelination is associated with axonal loss as well. There are two general forms of the disease. One is characterized by relapses and exacerbations. The other is a progressive form that is much more serious.

Several drugs have now been reported to reduce the incidence of relapses. These include several interferons and also a drug called Copaxone. The latter is an artificial polymer that resembles certain parts of myelin basic protein and may work by over-stimulating the immune system. These drugs have been a boon to people with the relapsing form of the disease, often staving off progression of the disease for many years.

For the progressive form of the disease, there are relatively few treatment options. One is to obliterate the person's immune system with chemotherapy and whole-body irradiation and then using bone marrow transplants (either from the same person or another person) to replace the bone marrow that presumably makes the autoimmune cells. This therapy unfortunately has a high complication rate and may result in graft-versus-host disease which is a form of autoimmune disease resulting from the grafted cells attacking the host. So, it is used only in very severe progressive cases.

Recent studies have revealed a close association of certain HLA genes with the occurrence of progressive MS. This has created a great deal of excitement but probably, like most such discoveries of genetic associations, may end up explaining only a small proportion of multiple sclerosis. It is likely that multiple sclerosis has many causes and represent an interaction between both environment and genetics.

The relationship between latitude and incidence of multiple sclerosis has fascinated many scientists and there is a theory that the lower incidence of MS in the equatorial regions may be related to the vitamin D activation. There is some data suggesting that activated vitamin D may reduce incidence of MS. I am sorry that I don't have time to document all the above statements with references but there are many MS resources where you can find the information.

Wise.