Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can Thecal Sac Injury Lead To Paralysis?

[QUOTE=Ant0niaZ;961927]
    "Im new to this so please be patient.....
    My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed yesterday with an abnormal kyphosis of the Cspine associated with a posterior disc bulging at C3/C4 and C5/C6 level causing a mild narrowing of the thecal sac.... the Doctor advised us that she must give-up all dancing and sport activities........."

Hi I have a neck complaint my self and have recently been told that I have a congenital atlanto- occipital fusion and c5 level indentation on the thecal sac. I also have cervical spondylosis (degeneration of three vertebrae) and reverse lordosis- reversed curvature of my cervical spine. I can speak from experience that putting my neck into certain positions causes me to experience neurological symptoms. I have constant pain in my neck and frequent pins and needles along both arms into my fingers, especially when I roll my neck and it cracks several times; I get a sharp bolt of pins and needles to my fingers. Extension and flexion as well as turning my head side to side elicits pins and needles in the right side of my scalp and face. Pain radiates to my head, temple region and retro-orbital region (behind eyes,) in addition to the radicular arm pain and pins and needles. These symptoms are painful, uncomfortable and worrysome.
    I am very concerned that this ongoing numbness and pins and needles is not being addressed due to the assumption that the aetiology of chronic pain does not change over time and have seen doctor after doctor over the last seven years.
    So please rest assured that you have a good doctor who is taking her condition seriously and taking every precaution possible. Your Daughter's doctor is aware of the risks of neurological complications that can arise from her conditions and has advised of the safest plan of action that will not only protect her from spinal cord damage but also limit the progression of neurological symptoms that will or potentially could cause her great pain and chronic discomfort.
    It takes a long time to accept that your body will never be the same again and that long term modifications to lifestyle are the only ways to manage the condition. I was 24 years old, and I was a single parent of two small kids when my neck complaint started (literally overnight,) and I initially found it very hard to adjust, not being able to get physical with them and not being able to manage the household chres etc. But believe me, your daughter has a long bright future ahead of her and if dancing cannot be then, given time, she will be able to move on and focus on an alternative future. I did a national diploma whilst suffering neck pain etc and began a degree in molecular medicine, although I have currently suspended following a lower spine injury due to an accident. After my operation I will complete my degree and hopefully get a job! So life goes on and we find ways to manage and accept life for what we have rather than what we do not.

I am sorry to go on a bit! But I hope you take some reassurance from this that the doctor is doing what is best and that your daughter will find that positive future.
    x

Help finding neurosurgeon

My MRI shows obvious impingement. My arms and legs have gotten very skinny and a little weak. I have tingling in the neck and bending certain ways causes more tingling and numbness on arms and shins. The "wiping" area on the behind has gone at least 90% numb in the last week.

My neurologist referred me to neurosurgery on an urgent basis, but two neurosurgeons have been unable to handle my case, recommending that I go to a major teaching hospital. So I make appointments, time goes by and my neurological situation gets worse.

One NS implied he would not operate until he saw indication of permanent SCI in the MRI, but that's exactly what he is supposed to prevent, by treating me before that.

Can you recommend an approach or a doctor near Rutgers to get the needed treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by ErnBird View Post
    My MRI shows obvious impingement. My arms and legs have gotten very skinny and a little weak. I have tingling in the neck and bending certain ways causes more tingling and numbness on arms and shins. The "wiping" area on the behind has gone at least 90% numb in the last week.

My neurologist referred me to neurosurgery on an urgent basis, but two neurosurgeons have been unable to handle my case, recommending that I go to a major teaching hospital. So I make appointments, time goes by and my neurological situation gets worse.

One NS implied he would not operate until he saw indication of permanent SCI in the MRI, but that's exactly what he is supposed to prevent, by treating me before that.

Can you recommend an approach or a doctor near Rutgers to get the needed treatment?
    Ernbird,

When faced with symptoms like those that you describe, most neurosurgeons look for possible causes on MRI, including compression of the spinal cord and roots. Based on your description, it sounds as if the neurosurgeons that you saw did not think that you have anything operable. Impingement does not mean compression... It suggests that something is touching your cord or roots. The symptoms that you describe are not specific for spinal cord injury. If you have seen two neurosurgeons already, I am not sure what to advise. Probably the best spine neurosurgeon in New Jersey is Robert Heary at UMDNJ in Newark.

Wise.

Thanks Wise. What other than SCIWOT could cause this progressive degree of denervation, including autonomic dysfunction and bladder issues?
    Since that post, I have been diagnosed with Cranio Cervical Instability and Atlanto Axial Instability and fusion surgery is being considered. The compression / irritation is hard to see on imaging because it's necessarily intermittent. Does this make sense?
    Last edited by ErnBird; 03-20-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Thumbs down careful with word addicted

Quote Originally Posted by dave823 View Post
    Alan,

Reconsider your thoughts of oxycontin as a base medication. I speek from experience. I've been dealing with degenerative disc disease for 28 years. My spine is pretty much trashed from top to bottom.

I got a RX for oxy in 1997 when it first came out. It was called a wonder drug. It did kill the pain. It also does something they don't tell you about. It is a synthetic version of morphine. Being a synthetic it has the strange ability to actually intensify the back pain you experience. I don't know if it was designed this way or not but it does guarantee that you will continue taking the product,, not because your adicted to it, but, because the pain becomes so much worse the longer you take it.

I took oxycontin for 10 years!! For the last 12 months I was taking 480 mg per day. The roxi's you are taking are equivelent to about 15 mg of oxycontin.

The back pain had become so intence, I was also given a RX for Dilodid which is ( mg for

mg ) 100 times stronger than oxy. On top of the oxy I was taking 8 mg of Dilodid every 2 hours and 3000 mg of Soma (carisaprodol,,,a mussle relaxer) per day. normal dose is 350 mg bid.

I stopped taking everything 3 months ago. I had to go to detox cause I was hopelessly adicted as you can imagine. They said they never saw such a violent withdrawal from oxy. After stopping the oxy the back pain subsided. I'm still in a lot of pain but nothing like when I was taking oxy.

I hope this helps you make a better decission on meds.

dave

Dave,
    As a healthcare professional and a successful user of opiates for degenerative disc disease. You say u had to go through detox as u were addicted, which very well may have been the case for you.
    Addicted implies you are consuming pain medicine to constantly reach that Euphoric feeling u had the first time u took pain medicine.
    On the other hand tolerance, which is what we all develop after long term use of pain medicine and this is not a bad thing. It happens with many other drugs as well.
    Getting off of pain medicines is just the same as going on. You slowly reduce the prescriptions month by month until your done to 1 a day. Now the addict can't do this as they don't want off the meds. They are addicted. As a smoker is to cigarettes. Statistics show that people with true chronic pain do NOT become addicted to pain medicine, but is tolerant. They myself included do not take meds more frequent than prescribed and they have been nothing but a positive in my life by keeping me functional a.d off disability. Opiates get alot of negative press thanks to the addict, but for many they are a useful treatment option

Wise,
    It's bee quite a journey...not an easy one...
    I have one last question ....Is it possible that all that, was a premenition for the fibromyalgia? My daughter was diagnosed about 2 years ago.
    Thank you.
    Antonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Sorry that I did not post some more on the subject as I promised. The fact that your daughter has serious spinal problems at a young age suggests that presence of a genetic disorder where she is not producing normal cartilage and bone. There are many such conditions.

Warm compresses may help relax the muscles if she is very tense but this would be mostly for comfort reasons. I don't think exercise of the neck will help and, if overdone, may be harmful.

Wise.
    Anima Mia, Vola Via!