Thread: Driving!!!!

Talking Driving!!!!

Oh its so beautiful. We got sure-grip hand controls for our dodge caravan. (super cool first car eh? ) I went and took my test and got my permit yesterday (even though ive been driving w/ my parents for a couple weeks) and its awesome. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my big fat monster of a chair in the car by myself. I did it once by using my dog's leash as a pulley thru a grab bar in the back seat and pulling my chair in thru the side door; I did it but it was really hard and slow and I think if i did it too many times my shoulder would object. My chair weighs about 30 pounds and I can't lift it into the back with one arm and I can't reach down very well to take it apart either .
    I'll usually have someone with me who can deal with my chair I imagine but it'd stilll be nice to be a little more independent about the whole thing.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Congratulations. I have a 17 year daughter myself. The driving thing is great. She drives around in a dodge caravan herself. Since I was hurt last year, and haven't started driving again yet it is "her" car. Uber un-cool, but its wheels. As far as getting the chair in and out, by the time you get the actual license you will have figured it out!

ps how do you transfer in and out of the mini van? I use my slide board, but still need help on the uphill transfer.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! YEAH!!!!! I bet you feel on top of the world right now!!! It's a wonderful sense of independence isn't it???!!! YEAH again!!!!

Re loading your chair: would it be feasable to sit on the floor of the van and roll your chair in over yourself, then scoot up to the driver's seat and lift yourself into it? I know this isn't ideal, but it may save your shoulders quite a bit of wear and tear from the way you described before. Also, what kind of chair are you in now? Any way of lightening it up a lil bit? Maybe if ya have armrest or anti-tipper brackets that you don't use anymore, you could remove those...Every lil bit helps when trying to load it in an awkward situation.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!! YEAH FOR YOU!!!!
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by ButtMonkey
    Oh its so beautiful. We got sure-grip hand controls for our dodge caravan. (super cool first car eh? ) I went and took my test and got my permit yesterday (even though ive been driving w/ my parents for a couple weeks) and its awesome. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my big fat monster of a chair in the car by myself. I did it once by using my dog's leash as a pulley thru a grab bar in the back seat and pulling my chair in thru the side door; I did it but it was really hard and slow and I think if i did it too many times my shoulder would object. My chair weighs about 30 pounds and I can't lift it into the back with one arm and I can't reach down very well to take it apart either .
    I'll usually have someone with me who can deal with my chair I imagine but it'd stilll be nice to be a little more independent about the whole thing.

Congratulations! But why does your chair weigh 30lbs? I guess it
    doesn't disassemble either? You should have a ramp put in that
    van anyway, rather than take apart your chair or transfer. Way
    cool that you're driving.

Awesome MonkeyGirl! I'm happy for you.

ButtMonkey,
    I just looked at your Prom Pics....I've also got a Spazz....I recently asked colours the weight of my chair based on it's size.....I'm in an 18x18 and the base weight is 19.5lbs...With my chushion, carry net & all the excess crap I carry on/in my chair, including my extra-heavy modified anti-tippers, mine weighs in at about 24lbs total. Just wondering if you've added anything to your chair that makes it weigh that much more? You don't look like you are near as big as me, so I can't imagine your frame is as large. Just trying to figure out a better way to load your chair that won't hurt your shoulders....If you want, since we've got the same chair, I can give a little more description of how I roll it over myself.

Jadis might also be able to help since she's got a Boing(same frame, different suspension chair) and drives a Caravan.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

For me driving is the ultimate expression of independence, not to mention the great equalizer. Given the same car, I'm just as capable as Michael Jordan - possibly more so 'cause I'm probably willing to do more than he. I'd never have made it this far if I couldn't drive.
    ~Token