Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle - HELP!

Vehicle - HELP!

I have always owned a two door vehicle which made loading a chair in and out a breeze. However, I finally got tired of being limited to what I could purchase. I just purchased a four door vehicle and hand controls were put on today. It sure isn't as easy breaking down the chair and loading. Any suggestions?

Before I would transfer into driver seat, put my legs in and lean to the side and break down the chair. However, because the door doesn't open as wide and less space to bring chair into vehicle, this is not as easy. Do those who have a four door vehicle leave legs out of car, break down chair, put legs in and then load? Keep in mind I'm paralyzed from mid-chest down so I have no balance.

Thank you!
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Hi Resonant,

I have a 4-door Honda Accord and a Tilite ZRA. The combo of the two works great for me, and I can get my chair in in under 15 seconds if I really hustle. I am a low injury though (L1) so I have quite a bit of balance. The whole process for me goes something like this:

1. Wheel into space between door and car so that I'm pointed straight at the door hinge, bisecting the angle between the door and the frame.

2. Place my right foot/leg in the car.

3. Grab the handle above the door frame with my right hand, the top of the door with my left hand, and swing into the seat. (If there's no handle, you can probably just do a normal depression transfer with your right hand on the seat). Lift my left leg in.

4. Take off my too-fat roho cushion and throw it in back.

5. Tip my chair up on its footrest, leaning it forward until the back is resting on the open door. It will be in the position like if you were going along and hit a crack, tipped up with the back wheels off the ground.

6. Pull off the right wheel (the one closest to me) and throw it in the back seat.

7. Tip the chair towards me (rotate it along the axis running perpendicular to the actual axel tube) and pull off the left wheel (the one farthest from me). Throw it in back.

8. Grab the bar underneath the seat upholstery (it connects the two main tubes of the fram) with my left hand and lift the chair up a bit, use my right hand to release the back rest and fold it down, and then use both hands to pull it in, passing it to my right hand and over my lap to set down in the passenger seat.

9. Shut the door and cruise to the new Mates of State CD.

That's it. The ZRA plays a huge role in this being so easy though, as its minimal "Z" frame is super-easy to pass over me and weighs very little. I was thinking about doing a little video showing me getting my chair in, since it goes so fast. If you think it might be helpful, let me know. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mcguive7; 05-14-2006 at 03:05 PM.
    I have met the dragon. . .

www.micksluck.com

I HAVE A 4 DOOR DODGE INTREPID. and im a quad c4-5.

1. i get in -put legs in.
    2. lean out unlock breaks
    3. then pop wheels off
    4. put wheels over my head onto backseat
    5. recline my seat all the way back
    6. then grab chair by crosbar on backrest
    7. pull frame over me onto backseat behind passenger seat
    done
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Mcguive7
    Hi Resonant,

That's it. The ZRA plays a huge role in this being so easy though, as its minimal "Z" frame is super-easy to pass over me and weighs very little. I was thinking about doing a little video showing me getting my chair in, since it goes so fast. If you think it might be helpful, let me know. Good luck.
    Hi, Mcgive-

Actually, after spending a few hours at it I came up with something similar. I bought a loaded 2006 Ford Fusion, SE (Sports Edition):

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/

Very nice looking sporty sedan. Just wish they would make the doors open wider. I can handle less space/width in door frame to pull the chair through.

Your message did give me some things to try that may be easier than what I came up with.

As far as the video, that is an excellent idea. If you happen to make one please let me know.

Thanks for responding,

Kevin

While I enjoy my Saturn and haven't had one single problem since buying it brand new in the later part of 2003 ... I'm PO'd that Ford doesn't offer any other 2-door car other than that old Focus ... now the Fusion has replaced that I understand. If they only offered it in a 2-door I would have went with Ford again! I think the Fusion is a smart looking vehicle!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I've asked the hub. He says about all a person can do is either move the seat brackets back, offering more room for transfer of chair, etc. but that might not be feasable anyways- (my son gets in and slides back as fuente does) or get the kit that's available to make your doors go up and out like a Lamborgini but that can be spendy...I should ask the kid, he's into this sport car type stuff, he may have found a kit that's reasonable by now. Btw, w/ new car you probably want to protect the paint, etc. from chair scrapes within door jam area, there was a clear type tape/protecting film from 3M I had found searching a few years back. The kid uses a towel to protect his car from chair scrapes as well with winter slush, etc. to not get dirty while transferring.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

that fusion is kind of small.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    that fusion is kind of small.
    That's what I thought...lol...I'd never fit in that thing...

Kevin, just a question...Did you transfer into it before you bought it to see how the transfers were gonna be?

Quote Originally Posted by jayday9

Kevin, just a question...Did you transfer into it before you bought it to see how the transfers were gonna be?
    lol, yup. way to small for me as well. best 4 doors i have seen are intrepid, camry, and maxima. oh and chrysler 300 and magnum
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by jayday9
    Actually, it is a very roomy vehicle with a large trunk.

Yes, I did transfer to and from my chair several times before purchasing. However, I didn't take the time to break down my chair and pull it in and out. I already knew it wasn't going to be as easy as my 2 door vehicle so didn't want to struggle with it there at the dealership.

One thing that pissed me off is after hand controls were installed I lost the ability to adjust steering wheel (telescopic/adjustable steering wheel). The hand controls run underneath and right up against steering column. I wasn't too happy to say the least.

As far as Camry being more roomy. My mother owns a 2005 and it isnt' any better as far as door opening width or how wide it swings open. The Fusion actually is more roomy on the inside.