Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: How do we tell him?

Here is the article about the ASIA:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

(KLD)

Thumbs up

You all have been so wonderful! I thought I would update you on my nephew, Timmy. He was moved out of ICU this morning! WooHoo! He is eating food finally (one of his nurses brought him home cooked food that he wanted, complete with cherry ice cream) and able to talk on the phone. He still has another surgery to go (L1-L5) but he is doing so much better. One of his nurses even posted an update on the website I put together for him
    www.timhallupdate.com

I finally feel like things are progressing forward. He has some really bad days, but he also has some good ones now. Some days he doesn't want any of his friends there to "see him like this", other days he wants them all there all the time. Hey, his is 16, I suppose some of this would be happening even if he wasn't injured, right? WonderDerek has been wonderful talking to me and helping me understand from a "young man's" point of view.

So..... now that he is out of the ICU and in a regular room..... What can we expect? Will he feel better or just more frustrated? Should he be getting more PT and OT? What can I do to help him not be bored and going stir crazy?
    www.weitemeyer.net

Quote Originally Posted by AuntDeena
    You all have been so wonderful! I thought I would update you on my nephew, Timmy. He was moved out of ICU this morning! WooHoo! He is eating food finally (one of his nurses brought him home cooked food that he wanted, complete with cherry ice cream) and able to talk on the phone. He still has another surgery to go (L1-L5) but he is doing so much better. One of his nurses even posted an update on the website I put together for him
    www.timhallupdate.com

I finally feel like things are progressing forward. He has some really bad days, but he also has some good ones now. Some days he doesn't want any of his friends there to "see him like this", other days he wants them all there all the time. Hey, his is 16, I suppose some of this would be happening even if he wasn't injured, right? WonderDerek has been wonderful talking to me and helping me understand from a "young mans" point of view.

So..... now that he is out of the ICU and in a regular room..... What can we expect? Will he feel better or just more frustrated? Should he be getting more PT and OT? What can I do to help him not be bored and going stir crazy?
    That is great news. He will probably have mood swings for years (but as you said...he's a teenage boy!) In my opinion, once he's up get him interacting with other patients/older injuries. He needs to see other people getting on with stuff and people who've accomplished things.

There was a teenage boy in rehab with me. He was terribly depressed in ICU. Once he was up and we brought him out of his shell he was a different person, his parents were so thankful that there were other patients willing to make sick jokes at his and their own expense - I know this can often seem distasteful to relatives but pee, poop and 'crip' humour gets many people through rehab.

If he isolates himself he will fail to pick up much of the knowledge he needs for his new life. Hopefully he'll get a lot more recovery yet but I found that my biggest battle was won in my head.

Good luck.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."