Thread: Itching?

Question Itching?

Ever since I can remember after my accident, once it gets late at night and I start thinking about sleep, my scar on my back itches like hell. Once I start itching it then the skin around the scar starts to itch. Three questions...

1.) Has this happened to any of y'all?

2.) Does it eventually go away?

3.) How can I stop the itching? It is driving me INSANE

Derek-
    My first instinct is to ask if you are on Diflucan....Why? b/c while I was in the hospital after my accident they had me on it to prevent fungal infections due to HIGH doses of IV antibiotics and I had HORRENDOUS INCONTROLLABLE itching...It wasn't until after they discontinued it and a few other meds that the itching stopped....The idiot dr in my Rehab center couldn't give me an explination....It wasn't until after I was out of rehab, had yet another UTI and when I went to the walk-in clinic they gave me Diflucan along w/my antibiotic....By the time I got home, I was itching uncontrollably yet again....We called immediately about the reaction and found out that it's an ALLERGIC reaction to Diflucan.....SOOOO......IF you are on DIFLUCAN, call your DR and stop taking it....

If you are NOT, it could be a simple dry skin issue....There are A LOT of different lotions/creams out there to try....Eucerine Lotion has been really good for me for really dry skin. Gold Bond Powder also helps for dry skin...
    Simple, Neosporin Cream w/Pain relief helps to quelch itching as well, however it's expensive in large ammts if your scar, or the bothersome area is large...

Hope this is helpful...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

The scar on my back (from posterior cervical fusion) itches a lot, but only at the base of the scar. I think it has to do with the nerves in the skin healing wonky. It sucks because it's in a spot I can barely reach.

I'm 14 1/2 years post, so I'd like to tell you that it goes away, but it might not.

The area around T4-12 out to about 5" on each side on my back itches constantly. It's odd, bc that area is also numb other than the itching. The only other sensation that area has is aching when the weather changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    The area around T4-12 out to about 5" on each side on my back itches constantly. It's odd, bc that area is also numb other than the itching. The only other sensation that area has is aching when the weather changes.
    Heh, that's kind of like me... I can not only feel the scar and where the truck flipped on my back. I feel everything else and everything else itches.... It's almost my whole back I'm not on the medicine you're allergic too(that must suck being allergic to a medicine), and all the medicines that I am on I've been taking for a long time. But some of the spots that I can't feel itch. If thats the nerves healing then damnit...... It's going to be a LONG road.

I know we are different levels, so maybe this doesn't apply for you. But I use to have insane nerve pain that would run up and down my fore arms to my neck to my back.

But now the pain is gone and it itches on my forearms really bad because I stopped talking my Neurotin. Are you on any Neruotin? I got off the stuff because i'd rather be itchy than be drugged up. But it may help you. Have you ever heard of the stuff? Its side effect is sleepiness though, some people said weight gain but it hasn't affected me while i was on it. So is it nerve pain or somthing else you think?
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    I know we are different levels, so maybe this doesn't apply for you. But I use to have insane nerve pain that would run up and down my fore arms to my neck to my back.

But now the pain is gone and it itches on my forearms really bad because I stopped talking my Neurotin. Are you on any Neruotin? I got off the stuff because i'd rather be itchy than be drugged up. But it may help you. Have you ever heard of the stuff? Its side effect is sleepiness though, some people said weight gain but it hasn't affected me while i was on it. So is it nerve pain or somthing else you think?
    Lol, bro.. I've recently gotten off of Neurotin because of the side effects. I might start taking it again though because this itchiness is KILLING me. The side effects I was getting were hallucinations, problems with vision, and hearing things. Lol, it sucks.

Have you tried benedryl? I take 4-6 every night (high tolerance, ask ur doc/pharmaco how many are safe for u). They are a sedative type med, but they don't make me drowsy at all. Boog can take 2 and he'll be out like a light in 30 min.