Thread: Insurance

Insurance

Can anyone tell me, how long does it take before your private insurance give you a approval decesion on your wheelchair?

Wait & time

Or when I should begin to call them??????

Call call, and call again, until you get answers and a time frame. Insurance companies will never volunteer to pay and even if you ask you still have to harass them. Get on a first name basis with your case manager and if you have to go to their supervisor. Make a record of every call (time, date etc.) and send the occasional letter or fax.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

My insurance is one month I believe. Another thing to watch out for is the wheelchair dealer screwing up. On my chair the insurance approved on Dec. 28, by Jan 14th I was wondering what was up so I called the dealer, who said that they didnt get approval yet. After calling around I found that the dealer lost the approval and were sitting on their hands waiting for something to arrive from the insurance (they forgot they lost it, nor did they bother to follow up on the order). The kicker was that time I told the lady at the dealer what happened, and she said that maybe she would call the next day to check on it....NOT! I told her that she will call my insurance now, get the necessary paperwork faxed to her and submit the order to the manufacturer, today. You would think that for full retail they would be competant, and timely to service their customers, oh wait, we are talking DME dealers here (and this place is one of those 'national seating and mobility' type places, you would think that they would be good being so big.

In my short-term experience, 3 years, I've never had more trouble getting something done than through equipment dealers. What has happened to service in this industry? Either they are so unorganized that they spin in circles, or they just don't care. If had enough start up cash, I'd put them all out of business.

Originally posted by Emi:

Call call, and call again, until you get answers and a time frame. Insurance companies will never volunteer to pay and even if you ask you still have to harass them. Get on a first name basis with your case manager and if you have to go to their supervisor. Make a record of every call (time, date etc.) and send the occasional letter or fax.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon
    Hey emi or anyone do your caseworker work for your insurance provider.. Well mine do & shes on the insurance side..How can this be I don't understand this, they give me a caseworker when I Want something....

Insurance

My independent dealer handled all the paper work and hounded the insurance company for me. Best I recall it took about three-four weeks to receive the chair (power Quickie). Some of the delay was due to the Christmas holiday period.

You Remeber when I submitted (My Chair) info to my insurance company, I had a similar situation like yours..

The guy never submitted my paper to the insurance company for my new chair,( he quit and works for a fence ompany ) I just found that out three weeks ago.. I was told it was submitted by the rehab but it never wasn't... So its submitted now, its been 5 days & they say it takes 30-45 days should I start harassing my case worker now being its only been 5 days.. My case works for my insurance company ( what a joke ) she's on they side... Wht should I do to speed up this process??? I will need my chair for school.........

Call your case manager and insist that she follow up. If she is not being your advocate, call your insurance company, speak to her supervisor, and ask to have a different case manager assigned.

(KLD)

Mad, Yes your case manager works for the insurance company. This works for the insurance company and it should help you too by lowering overall costs and your co-pays. By having someone manage patients' accounts who have major medical problems they can plan and make contracts for buying certain supplies in bulk. So while your chair may take awhile in the company's eyes it is saving by buying all chairs through one dealer even if that dealer can't make or order the chairs fast enough for the patients.

My problem was my insurance company ok'd the last manual chair I ordered then once I got it backed out and now wants to know why I need both a manual and power chair.... So now I need to type that up, fax it to my doc, have him sign it on his letterhead and then send it to the insurance company.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."