Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Tech driving/mobility mods & Insurance

High Tech driving/mobility mods & Insurance

For those of you quads that drive, how do you have your "driving/mobility mods" insured? Guess I'm referring to those folks who have at least $15,000.00 in cost of mods or more:

Do you
    1. Just have full coverge for the van itself. (Like any regular vehicle)
    2. Full coverage in regular automobile insurance policy, plus cost of mods in your policy labeled as "extras" based upon what has been "added" to the van. I.E, EGB, Zero effort/reduced effort steering, secondary controls, lowered floor. This option may be labeled as "the current resale value of vehicle w mods".
    3. A policy through a insurance company that specializes in specialized modifications. So, in the event of an accident, everything in and outside your van will be replaced exactly, plus you'd have an accessible rental.

If you don't feel comfortable discussing this here but want to talk about it, it would be great if you could PM me. Thanks-

i have full coverage on my van and with State Farm, everything inside the van is automatically covered at no addt'l charge..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Our van is not equipped for driving, since my mother cannot drive. The ramp, floor modifications and EZ lock system is included in our policy from 21st Century.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    i have full coverage on my van and with State Farm, everything inside the van is automatically covered at no addt'l charge..
    Are you sure about that? My state farm policy very explicitly covers modifications up to $1000.

ie that wouldn't be covered.

-- JB

My ins agent(Nationwide) wanted a list of all the mods so that they would have "full replacement" coverage, vs. the depreciated type for the rest of the van. Would think any ins would need this, don't think just "normal" coverage will take this into account. Of course this will be reflected in your premium cost.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I have full coverage for the cost of the van with all modifications. I told the insurance company (State Farm) that I had a handicapped accessible minivan and gave them the cost of the van plus all modifications.

Riz
    C-5 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Riz
    I have full coverage for the cost of the van with all modifications. I told the insurance company (State Farm) that I had a handicapped accessible minivan and gave them the cost of the van plus all modifications.

Riz
    C-5 incomplete
    Thanks Riz.
    I agree with you McDuff and Justin. Did anyone see the costs of reg full coverage vs w addtl? Did the cost Skyrocket? thx all

Lizbv,

I don't know if they skyrocketed because I never had a minivan before. But to compare, I have a 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Limited, total cost of van with modifications was $60,000 and change. My wife has a 2005 Nissan Altima, cost $23,000.
    The 6 month Insurance premium is $507. for the van and $397. for the Altima. Of corse we live in NJ where premiums are higher. Hope this helps.

Riz

Quote Originally Posted by Riz
    Lizbv,

I don't know if they skyrocketed because I never had a minivan before. But to compare, I have a 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Limited, total cost of van with modifications was $60,000 and change. My wife has a 2005 Nissan Altima, cost $23,000.
    The 6 month Insurance premium is $507. for the van and $397. for the Altima. Of corse we live in NJ where premiums are higher. Hope this helps.

Riz
    Thank you Riz, looks like you've got a really good longevity of good driving etc at that rate. I never had any bad things on mine but Due to an adapted gas/brake issue I rear ended someone in the city last summer; risen rates. Three points on my liscence, then moved to more urban area, more rise. Insurance is crazy. I think after 6 months I'm going to try quotes from a different carrier. :Frustrated:
    P.S. What driving system do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB
    Are you sure about that? My state farm policy very explicitly covers modifications up to $1000.

ie that wouldn't be covered.

-- JB
    ummm , yeah.... my mods are $45k and covered completely. if yours aren't, you better check with another agent...

my premiums are just a touch higher than Riz's, bc my van is a '05.. about $600 every 6 months...
    Last edited by 2jazzyjeff; 05-06-2006 at 11:16 PM. Reason: to add my premium

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia