Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: lortab or percocet?

lortab or percocet?

i was just wondering.....

is percocet any stronger than lortab in helping with pain mngmnt. ive been taking lortab 10 for about 2 yrs now. it seems theyre not helpin much anymore. my doc mentioned percocet one time but i figured they all were about the same back then. would it do any good to ask to try the percocet or are the lortab stronger? every doc thats ever give me pain meds always prescribed lortab.....

I'm thinking they are about the same, (hydrocodone vs. oxycodone). Why are you considering switching?
    Daniel

was thinkin of switchin cause the lortab don't seem to be working as good as they used to. like i'm gettin immune to them i guess. the lortab seem to have a relaxing effect and i've talked to ppl that are on oxy an they say it kind of hypes them up.

oxycodone gives me insomnia, but so does all the pain meds at night.
    in NYS oxycodone is a higher level narcotic than lortab, a different script is required. i think lortab is the same as vicodin
    cauda equina

i think just getting off the tylenol after two years would really be the best way to go here.percocet is supposedly stronger than lortab.the thing is,depending on the individual,just because something is actually considered to be "stronger" it does not always mean better.the way a person will respond to the med itself is really the key.and yes,lortab is vicodin.the vics and lortab are hydrocodone based and percs are oxycodone based.

the thing is,with all the options availiable out there that have no tylenol,i would think your doc would not really want to keep you on something that over time,even staying within the max dose gudelines,will affect the liver at some point,not to mention the kidneys.tylenol is really hard on the kidneys,something alot of people are just not aware of.i have a kidney and liver disease so I do not take any meds conataining any tylenol unless it is very short term.

If you wanted to try percocet,go with roxicodone instead,or oxy IR.this is just the oxy without any tylenol.these are what I currently use for BT meds.you get the benefit of the percs but with no tylenol to have to take on a consistant basis.

since you are obviously having pretty constant pain has your doc ever mentioned trying oxycontin or ms contin?the long acting meds are really much better in the long run if your pain is needing treatment round the clock.this takes away the ups and downs of trying to play catch up with your pain as one dose wears off and you have to wait to to take another.just a suggestion for you.i would at the very least speak with your Rxing doc about getting rid of the tylenol containing meds,really.why take that crap if you really do not have to ya know?

unfortunetly,they are finding more and more evidence these days that good old tylenol is not the little innocuous med it has always been thought to be.if you don't really need it(like for a fever) stay the heck away from it if you possibly can if you are having to be on some sort of pain med on a long term basis.Before I actually found out that i had a liver/kidney disease,I just absolutley shudder when I think of how many 10/500 lortabs I was taking over the years everyday for my pain.just discuss this with your doc.good luck,Marcia

Quote Originally Posted by firesmurf
    i think just getting off the tylenol after two years would really be the best way to go here.percocet is supposedly stronger than lortab.the thing is,depending on the individual,just because something is actually considered to be "stronger" it does not always mean better.the way a person will respond to the med itself is really the key.and yes,lortab is vicodin.the vics and lortab are hydrocodone based and percs are oxycodone based.

the thing is,with all the options availiable out there that have no tylenol,i would think your doc would not really want to keep you on something that over time,even staying within the max dose gudelines,will affect the liver at some point,not to mention the kidneys.tylenol is really hard on the kidneys,something alot of people are just not aware of.i have a kidney and liver disease so I do not take any meds conataining any tylenol unless it is very short term.

If you wanted to try percocet,go with roxicodone instead,or oxy IR.this is just the oxy without any tylenol.these are what I currently use for BT meds.you get the benefit of the percs but with no tylenol to have to take on a consistant basis.

since you are obviously having pretty constant pain has your doc ever mentioned trying oxycontin or ms contin?the long acting meds are really much better in the long run if your pain is needing treatment round the clock.this takes away the ups and downs of trying to play catch up with your pain as one dose wears off and you have to wait to to take another.just a suggestion for you.i would at the very least speak with your Rxing doc about getting rid of the tylenol containing meds,really.why take that crap if you really do not have to ya know?

unfortunetly,they are finding more and more evidence these days that good old tylenol is not the little innocuous med it has always been thought to be.if you don't really need it(like for a fever) stay the heck away from it if you possibly can if you are having to be on some sort of pain med on a long term basis.Before I actually found out that i had a liver/kidney disease,I just absolutley shudder when I think of how many 10/500 lortabs I was taking over the years everyday for my pain.just discuss this with your doc.good luck,Marcia

thanks for the enlightenment marcia. i will definitely talk to him about the tylenol.

Actually, oxycodone is considered 50% stronger than hydrocodone. Percocet is considered stronger than Lortab. In fact, Lortab is a schedule III med while Percocet is a Schedule II med.

I use 30 mg of Oxycodone for my bt med (along with 60 mg of Kadian bid)

Good Luck!

Alan

i think i'll ask about tryin the percs. these lortabs just don't seem to be doin anything anymore....

Percocet is the only pain medication that works for me. But be warned, it makes you goofy. I find that with codiene or oxycodone I still can function in a work environment, but with perc, I tend to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by passingobsession
    Percocet is the only pain medication that works for me. But be warned, it makes you goofy. I find that with codiene or oxycodone I still can function in a work environment, but with perc, I tend to check out.
    thanks.....

i'm loopy already so it should work good with me, lol. i do have a high tolerance though......