Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you really push your own chair everywhere?

I'm a C5/6 so quite a bit of difference in upper body strength and motion but for me it's a case of doing whatever makes life easier.

For me thats pushing indoors and powering out doors, I also spend a lot of time "off road" where the power chair is a must.

Im C5/6 and the only time im not pushin is when im going downhill..I enjoy pushin,uphill,ramps,dirt,mud,gravel,snow,grass bring it on..i just feel like every rotation of the wheel makes me stronger,i was put in powerchair in rehab cause they told me i would never be strong enough to function from a manual chair,they were wrong.I might be the last to show up,but i'll get there

WOW I mm gjust goin gout the door with my daguhter who is takingg me to try my sEcond motor chioar, no one could paossibly say why one usese one or the otheetr. I ruinend both my shoudlers in my manual and I Was a totalll athelete before, but for me personslly the main Reasson I ahve to have the motor (as scEONd chair) is becausee of Energyy, WHen Im pushingg like CRAzy in my manuall for 10 yearss and ahve not Even half of breatthing abilities and BRACHycardia, well I hjave NO choice now But to get a Motor Chair. bugt I will use both Im SYre because on btter days Auir wise Im just wanteed to wheeel around like crazy in MANual, I LVOe flying down hillls ect ,ha,haha Zooooommmmmm is my PErsonalityy but body SAys Cant dod that so much anymore, so if itss a choicee betweeen breathing and a MOTor chair I will feeel lucky to have it and not TAx my lungs and Durpahgm.

Just MY Siuattion but just so you knoww evyerones diffrent. GO WItht what is BEst for yourselves. I feeel lucky becuasee I dontt have ALS like my bRother did and thatss enough to Keeep me smiling.

hugs JO , MANn I goottta get goin here.

I have to add that i could see the benefits of owning both...

take what ever you can get . i have my granma's old p/w and have used it alot (broken hand,yard work,no drivers licenses for medical reasons ect) my first manual chair my brother had fished out of a dumpster( no kidding )..even if you dont use it you could use it for a trade /sell/donation.. my 2 cents d

Quote Originally Posted by jukespin
    (Sorry folks.)
    Rhino, this is the second time I've noticed you bemoaning your not being a para. How would you really feel about losing genital sensation as a trade-off for being a para?

?
    Juke......you're right. I've actually said elsewhere that I wouldn't necessarily trade what I do have if it meant pain/loss of sensation/bad B&B problems. I was being really picky and bemoaning it while wanting to keep everything else the same

Apologies. I'm not a quad who thinks life is rosey as a para. It's a different set of problems. I still want my hands or tris back though. I'm one muscle level from independence and it frustrates me.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    I second that.
    ok. ok. short arms
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Im C5/6 and the only time im not pushin is when im going downhill..I enjoy pushin,uphill,ramps,dirt,mud,gravel,snow,grass bring it on..i just feel like every rotation of the wheel makes me stronger,i was put in powerchair in rehab cause they told me i would never be strong enough to function from a manual chair,they were wrong.I might be the last to show up,but i'll get there
    Your last comment sums up my feelings Shaun. Why spend an hour pushing to the waters edge when you can hop into your power chair and be chucking a fly at the fish within five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Mike is T6 complete so my initial thought was no way!! But..... do you guys wheel around in a manual chair for hours at a time?? Forgive me, that sounded ignorant. What I mean is, if you go on a day trip where their will be a lot of travel time in the chair , do any of you switch to a power chair for the day?
    As a T-6, unless his shoulders are blown out from overuse/misuse or he's very overweight, I don't see any reason for him to use anything but a manual chair. I'm a C-6 and use only a manual, and most guys who are C-6 can do that unless their shoulders get blown out (which is a big possibility for those "superquads" in my opinion). But I think it's best for overall health to push a manual chaair as much and for as long as possible. Mike shouldn't have any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    I still want my hands or tris back though. I'm one muscle level from independence and it frustrates me.
    Don't give up on independence rhino. It might still be possible for you. Email me if you want to compare notes.

I wouldn't give up my genital sensation to be a para, but I do think even high paras have it a lot easier than quads when it comes to independence, day-to-day life, doing things for themselves, etc. But I can totally see why other quads would prefer hand function over genital sensation. Paras with fully functional hands/arms really have no clue how frustrating quad hands are, in all their varying levels of quad hand function.

No need for you paras to whine that it's not easy being a para. I'm not saying it's easy for you, ya big babies.