Thread: Lasix and what it can do

Lasix and what it can do

I've been on Lasix for about 2 years , my old urologist had done tests on me because my bldder wasn't emptying all the way , but that was in the morning , and I was taking my Lasix in the morning , but in the afternoon , my bladder would empty , at the time I didn't know why , so I went to see a different Urologist , and all his tests were done in the morning ,and he knew all my medications and when I was taking them , with this DR. after many tests I had a MITROFANOF APPENDICOVESICOSTOMY , and have had many problems , not long ago I learned from my Pharmistist that Lasix got it's name from lasting six hours , in other words it makes you void very strongly for six hours then slows down , my Question is this did I have this operation for nothing , due to a DR. not knowing about this medication ? Was this a mistake on the DR.'s part or mine ?

Don't mix up voiding (emptying the bladder) with urine production from the kidneys. Lasix is a diuretic, it will increase the elimination of urine by the kidneys, urine is then stored in the bladder until "voiding". If it comes out completely or not of your bladder after being produced is not related to how much is produced (beside the fact that when the bladder is too full then ...).
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

OK but when they did a ultra sound of my bladder in the morning it show after voiding there was still anywhere from 100 ml to 300 ml , but if my Dr. appointment was in the afternoon they would do a ultra sound of my bladder and it would be empty!

I am not saying that it is not true that your results were different in the morning and in the afternoon, I am just saying that I don't think that the Lasix is responsible for that, how were you voiding before the surgery/intervention was performed, what were the problems you had?
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

The first Urologist said I had Interstitial Cystitis ,so that's when I went to get a second opinion , and that Urologist said I didn't have that , he said I had a Neurogenic Bladder ,ran some tests all done in the morning , and that's when he told me he thought I should have that operation ,and when he explained it to me and my wife he never said anything about it leaking he said it would only let Urine out when a catheter is put in to open the valve , but if he told me of it could leak due to spasms , I would of never had it done.