Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cushions

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    I'll be staying with the classic,i can move alot more freely on it and even my transfers seem easier because the cushions flat and doesnt have the big dip at the back.Its lower profile also so its easier to reach the ground and pick stuff up (im a cluts)......I like it...shhhh dont tell fuente
    Shaun, I am a relatively big guy and now use 4" cushions. I cannot lower my footrest any more. How could I prevent my knees from flopping open and get proper leg rest if I go to a low profile cushion. I would like that, it would make my chair lighter and give me more stability, but I am worried that I was measured for a 4" cushion, something will be out of whack. I use mostly a roho high profile.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

it seems to me that everyone is shaped differently which means a custom cushion would be best. in the hospital i was given a Jay deep contour with the gel in the back and 4". i jumped into a ROHO but it was on a diferent guys chair, and maybe the set up was wrong for me. i have longer legs at 6' tall, but then again so was he. how does one clean a roho? and is a roho, viewing the poll results, really that much better??
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    it seems to me that everyone is shaped differently which means a custom cushion would be best. in the hospital i was given a Jay deep contour with the gel in the back and 4". i jumped into a ROHO but it was on a diferent guys chair, and maybe the set up was wrong for me. i have longer legs at 6' tall, but then again so was he. how does one clean a roho? and is a roho, viewing the poll results, really that much better??
    IMO, roho got alot of votes because ppl are programmed to use them, pt/ot's and dme ppl push them. from a crip point of view, the stimulite line are superior in every aspect.,
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I will admit you were right,i dont miss the big dip or contoured feature at all and my ass is still very happy..I was surprised,should of tried one years ago..

MMcgif...Yeah i think you'll like it,sucks you couldnt try one first though...
    it will get even more comfy in a week or two. and so easy to wash and dry
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    Nicotico-
    Rohos are really easy to clean, you just take 'em out of the cover and spray them off in the tub/shower. OR you could use lysol wipes or baby wipes if you don't want to actually put it in the shower. It's possible that your buddy's Roho had the wrong ammt of air for you, as a matter of fact probably. It's individual to the person. As an example, I visited Jadis a couple months back, we both use Roho cushions, but DEF find different pressures to be better for ourselves. Hers was not comfy for me, mine was not comfy for her. Same cushion, two diff people.

Regarding what you said about a custom cushion being best...not necesarily, I've sat on the Stimulite that Fuente is so fond of, and that Shaun likes....they supposedly form to you...They cause me a TON of pain. Each person is individual, yes, but that also means that what they sit on is an individual need. I believe that the Roho is rated so high b/c it's so universal and honestly people like them. If people didn't like them, they wouldn't be using them.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    I cannot lower my footrest any more. How could I prevent my knees from flopping open and get proper leg rest if I go to a low profile cushion. .
    Is your footrest adjustable and at the end of its adjustability? I wonder if you could have the footplate cut off and welded back onto longer insert tubes,give you some more room to play with or give a call to your chair manufacturer and tell them whats up

......or do you mean any lower and your foot plate will be hitting the ground,or your castors will be hitting your foot?

Is your footrest adjustable and at the end of its adjustability? I wonder if you could have the footplate cut off and welded back onto longer insert tubes,give you some more room to play with or give a call to your chair manufacturer and tell them whats up

......or do you mean any lower and your foot plate will be hitting the ground,or your castors will be hitting your foot?
    I did the extensions. This was my first chair and was measured too short. You can see pictures of my extension and of the roho I use most. The footplate is exactly 1/2 inch off the ground. Tried the manufacturer and everything else. Stimulite does not make a 4 " cushion, and I would really like to try one.

T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003