Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cushions

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Roho's don't have a hard base, unless you are referring to the solid insert, which helps support/prevent "caving" of the roho on a fabric seat base?

You should NOT be grabbing on the corner cells (bubbles) to lift/move your roho. The quadtro comes with a string attached to corner end of the roho, to use to move the cushion.
    - Is the frame of your chair hitting against the roho?
    - Are there any sharp/protruding bolts etc, on frame near cushion?
    - Does your roho puncture in one corner consistently?

Have you ever used the "Repair kit"?
    Has the warranty on the roho been good?

If you need the support of a solid seat base, have you looked into having a solid base fixed onto the frame of your chair instead of the insert in the roho?
    No, it's not a hard base but the rubber is heavier and has not punctured from underneath. I hold it from the yellow string, but others just grab it sometimes and the board makes it heavier. I wonder if I should do away with the board altogether. Yes I have used the repair kit and now that you mention it, the second quadtro was a replacement from roho. They backed up their product really well. Punctures have happened on both corners. I also notice that when I transfer from my chair to the bed after showering, there is a lot of pressure on the corner. It seems that the towel doesn't allow me to slide easily and pulls really hard on the corner.

I like what I have read about the stimulite. I understand that for many Roho is the industry standard. But it seems that stimulite has its fair number of loyals too. I am just wondering whether it is worth it to spend the money and give another brand a try.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania
    i always used a roho while in rehab and a high profile roho when i finally got my own power chair. i actually got TWO sores on my tailbone. plus, i had ending excruiating pain in my buttocks. i'm now using a jay 2 deep gel, i'm not sure how many inches deep it is, i just know that it pressure mapped 30 percent less than my high profile roho did. and the sore is getting better and i can actually stay in my chair for longer than 6 hours! that's what i needed. i sincerely hope you find what you need!
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

I used the Stimulite Contoured for years and was happy and never had a problem with it.Ive switched and im try the Classic now so sit a little lower and can reach the ground easier and have more wiggle freedom,the contored really holds your ass in place compared to this one..

The height of the contoured is just about 4' at the front,3.8' i think...and Diggers (a CC member) if i remember right said his came 5'

Check out there site...http://www.supracor.com/medical/cushions.html

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    paramoto said that he LIKES the comfort of a ROHO....therefore it is NOT uncomfortable to him...Fuente we all know you hate the roho, give the bashing on it a break.....

Paramoto-
    I use a roho and never have had punctured mine...I do however tend to not check the valve often enough and tend to let it deflate. You don't have to have the pump to re-inflate it however...

I do have to ask, why you are sitting on wood when your Roho goes flat? what kind of seat base do you have? Could your seat base be causing the punctures in your cushion? I'd be more concerned about what is causing your cushion to puncture...To be honest I'm somewhat haphazard w/the care of my cushion, I toss open knives on my seat, my cat claws on it, and I have yet to have a puncture in it...Maybe I'm just fortunate, but I've never had a puncture in my cushion...

If you wish to test another cushion, I recommend talking to your local dealer and see if they can get you a demo. Most dealers can get a demo of just about anything you ask for. Don't buy a different cushion until you've demo-ed it. Personally, the stimulite causes me A LOT of burning pain in my rear end. I wouldn't have known that unless I had tried it first. You have had good comfort and skin protection w/the Roho...I'm a big fan of the old addage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so maybe your best bet would be to get a new ROHO...my low profile Roho Quadtro has been VERY low maintenance, except for when I leave the valve open(my own fault)...
    rohos suck ass, period..................u cant demo stimulites, the cells learn your butt. each one is different after a week, as davey pointed out.

im in my chair at least 15-17 hours per day. my butt never even gets red. remember thou, i have near normal feeling. thats hopw i know it feels good.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 05-02-2006 at 07:16 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    rohos suck ass, period..................u cant demo stimulites, the cells learn your butt. each one is different after a week, as davey pointed out.

im in my chair at least 15-17 hours per day. my butt never even gets red. remember thou, i have near normal feeling. thats hopw i know it feels good.
    Fuente-
    it's a matter of OPINION!!! for me ROHO works better than anything else...I didn't know that you couldn't demo Stimulites. My rehab had me on a Stimulite, it caused me HORRENDOUS, HORRENDOUS burning pain...I have practically normal feeling in my bottom too...you aren't the only one...as I said before, IT'S AN INDIVDUAL THING...As Paramoto has gotten good and bad reviews of the ROHO from others here, there are people out there that have positive results with it. I am in my chair just as long, if not longer than you are...AGAIN, it's different for different people.....YOU don't like Roho, you use a different cusion, instead of saying it's a POS, try saying, "this is the cushion I use and this is why"....instead of "the ROHO is a pos, etc. etc..."

Paramoto-
    It seems to me that there is some outside force causing you to rip your front corners of your ROHO. I'm still trying to figure out what board you have underneath your Roho. Is it the base that Chick was referring to or one you have added? I don't use the added base on my cushion, so I don't know if that could be causing the problems. It seems to me though that it could be a factor. Whereas, the fact that your friends pick it up by the cells isn't necesarily the best, it shouldn't cause holes. Like I said, I'm rough on my cushion, my cat claws on it too(she's a kitten and claws on whatever she can) and I haven't had any problems. The suggestion of filing warranty claims is a good one, b/c like I said, it doesn't seem that it should happen that easily. As far as the possibility of your transfer board puncturing your cushion, check to see if it might be splintered or have rough edges that might be the cause. It really seems to me that your cushion is defective or you've got an outide force that is the cause. The cushion is quite durable from everything that I've done to mine..

Re: ROHO being the "standard" that is given to evryone....I think that depends on where you've done rehab...Only way I heard about it was through a friend in Rehab who had transferred from another rehab...My rehab center DID NOT want to allow me to use a ROHO...I'm glad my friend had one to let me try...I was in TONS less pain within a couple hrs.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Cool Roho & Supracor

Uh oh, caught in a crossfire.

I have both: Roho and Supracor. I like both. Great cushions, each with its own advantages.

Paramoto - The Supracor website does not show any cushion higher than 3 inches. I do not know if they would do a custom cushion for you.

If you get a Stimulite, it sounds like you would want the Contoured Sling. That would eliminate the need for a solid base and save some weight.

I got mine from Spinlife for $375. The Sling bottom is $25.41 more.

Peace, Steve
    Last edited by steeeve; 05-03-2006 at 12:58 AM.

Paramoto-
    I don't know anything about the Stimulite. However, I sit on a Jay Extreme and have had no trouble with sores. In Rehab they compared the pressure map of the Jay extreme to the Roho. The Jay Extreme was significantly better for me. ( but I am a pretty small person 5'1" and ~100lbs. so that may make a difference.) I also use a Jay2 as a loaner right after rehab and didn't have any probs.
    Just my experience, Good Luck
    Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Re: ROHO being the "standard" that is given to evryone....I think that depends on where you've done rehab...Only way I heard about it was through a friend in Rehab who had transferred from another rehab...My rehab center DID NOT want to allow me to use a ROHO...I'm glad my friend had one to let me try...I was in TONS less pain within a couple hrs.
    rohos are the norm because they are easy to get ins to pay for.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks for your input everyone. I use a wooden board I bought in Miami for something like 30 or 40 bucks. It gives the cushion a very firm base. My foam cushion bends in the middle if I don't use a board, so now I use them on all my cushions. It seems that all my chairs were built in a way that they give me very little leg room flexibility. I am 6'1" and maybe I have long legs, because I have to lower the footrest all the way down, and in one I had to have extensions adapted so that my legs could rest on the cushion.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003