Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: folding chair help

folding chair help

I have three wheelchairs right now. I just bought a quickie revolution to make it easier to get into the car. I am 6"1 and my chair is 18 x 18. Well, the revolution really did not make it any easier to get the chair into the car. Should I consider buying a folding chair?? I would keep it in the car and use it only when outside the house or office (yeah, I know it's probably against conventional wisdom, but it has worked for me so far). Should I consider buying a folding chair? Is it that much easier to get into the car??
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Moto,
    I agree that the revolution isn't the easiest chair to fold and store in your car by yourself!

I find it easier to use my rigid frame titanium. I just sit it in the passenger seat while the wheels and cushions go behind the front passenger seat.

Dave
    Dave

I have a Kuschall Compact folding wheelchair and it works fine for me, I use it on a daily basis. I also need the swingaway footrests because a rigid footrest will not be an option for me how I use the chair. Leif

Here is a link to more folding wheelchairs: http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/mat...categoryID=136
    Last edited by Leif; 05-23-2006 at 08:24 AM.

Herco, thanks. I also have a quickie Ti that I use at home. I am 6"1 and that chair is just too big to get into my car. Plus I use a big Levo backrest that I should try to get rid off. I drive a Volvo Xc 70, with doors kind of small.

Leif, thanks. I starte seeing Kuschall in the magazines a few months back. It is expensive but the reviews are pretty good. How long have you had it?/ What was your chair prior to that one??

Moto,

Have you tried laying your drivers seat all the way back to pass the chair infront of you? I drove a Honda CRV, not a very large car, and had few problems. I'm 6'03" weigh 240 and have a 20x20" chair. I can bring that into almost any car if I lean the seat back. I even did it in my parent's Subaru legacy in a pinch a few months ago. Try it, you should be OK.

Dave
    Dave

paramoto. you are in Nica and you don't drive a Hyundai?? wow
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16
    Moto,

Have you tried laying your drivers seat all the way back to pass the chair infront of you? I drove a Honda CRV, not a very large car, and had few problems. I'm 6'03" weigh 240 and have a 20x20" chair. I can bring that into almost any car if I lean the seat back. I even did it in my parent's Subaru legacy in a pinch a few months ago. Try it, you should be OK.

Dave
    Man, I am gonna give it a harder shot. I had trouble with the revolution the other day. Thanks. I just have to lighten it up a bit. I have a huge back, anti tippers, a big 4" roho and arm rests. It just makes the whole thing a hassle. I'll take some things off and give it a try. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Leif, thanks. I starte seeing Kuschall in the magazines a few months back. It is expensive but the reviews are pretty good. How long have you had it?/ What was your chair prior to that one??
    Hello Paramoto. I’ve had this Compact for five years or so, it’s still sound and in one peace, just replaced the tires from time to time. The only ting damage I have done to it was to the anti tipper, removed it, no need for it. The first couple of wheelchairs I tried were some heavy ones and I still have one as a spare just in case. - I can also get this chair in through my driver position in my car like Dave explains, I have a RAV4.

Rav 4?? Do you use a board to get on it?? Would it fit a full assembled wheelchair in the back??

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Rav 4?? Do you use a board to get on it?? Would it fit a full assembled wheelchair in the back??
    I’m T4 Incomplete. Means I have some strength in my legs. I don’t use a board since I don’t need it for transfer but I choose this car based upon my injury, height, weight etc. I’m 187cm/90kg and for me (I tested a lot of cars) the Toyota RAV4 suited me well. I put the wheelchair facing the driver position. Place my legs with my hands in the best position, facing a bit to the front of the car and then I take one hand and hold the steering wheel while holding the other one on the armrest on my wheelchair and lift myself over to the driver seat. Then I pull the wheelchair after me and place it in the passenger seat after I have folded it, no need to take wheels of, just footrests. Sometimes I also have it folded in the back of my car, especially if I have some folks with me. It will go in fully assembled as well due to the back seats in the car can be adjusted but then it will not leave much space for passengers here. The back of this car is not the biggest one, but the whole package works fine for me and my situation. It is also easy to get out of the car since the driver seat is a bit higher than a sedan car, before I had a BWW 5 series but in this car when going out I had to lift my self up and out of it. The RAV4 mini SUV is much easier to get out of, I just place the wheelchair facing me and slides over and down into it while holding me with my hands in the car and the wheelchair.
    Last edited by Leif; 05-23-2006 at 12:45 PM.