Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rods left in or take out?

Ship 'em to me. I need my spine straightened.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

these suckers are going to the junkyard

I just had 2 rods and 4 screws with caps removed on the 24th.I can already tell that this going to be less pain.The surgery was not a big deal and most of the pain came from the tape holding a bandage over the scar.
    I would recomened getting rid of the rods If they are causing you pain.
    "Independent from the rest of the sheep"

I had two harrington rods put in '98, and I have terrible pain in shoulder , rib, spine, and hip. What are the options for relief. I didn't know they could be removed. What about this "extension" surgery? My Dr said I would never have pain and to leave them in for the rest of my life. I am too young for this, and I must do something! HELP!!!

it's been two years now since I've had mine removed. mines were broken in different places and they were poking out through my skin. they asked me if I wanted to have them replaced and I said no way. I wasn't about to go through the same thing all over again and have them break again. It is all up to you and not your doctor if you want them to be removed. after all, remember you are the patient and doctor's have to respect your decisions.

I had mine takin out and I haven;I regretted it one bet. I use to cry at night because they hurt so bad. Strange how I could feel them in my back
    I have always had 30% scoliosis but I don't hurt anymore. I am more flexable.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Wise-both of my rods broke after less than 2 years. I was fused from the occiput to C6. Is this a common occurrence? If it is, why are there not product liability issues? Unfortunately, the surgery I had to remove them has actually decreased my range of motion and leaves me in more pain than before. Any input you have would be appreciated. Thanks
    C3/C4. Complete

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    To those who have had their hardware removed, has anyone had any downside?
    I've had mine in for 10 years, happened to be seeing a neurosurgeon regarding a syrinx and asked him about rod removal.... his response... if you want them out I'll take them out!
    Everyone I've asked previously has seemed to make a lot or excuses...

It can be a big surgery, depending how overgrown with bony tissue they are, and of course it is important to know if you spine is stable without them in place (fracture non-union, Charcot joints, etc. have to be taken into consideration).

Remember that surgeons are in the business of doing surgery. I wouldn't have them taken out without getting at least a second and perhaps even a 3rd opinion from a surgeon who specialized in orthopedic spine surgery.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Thank you for the input KLD.

Is there a non-invasive way to tell how overgrown the bony tissues is ?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It can be a big surgery, depending how overgrown with bony tissue they are, and of course it is important to know if you spine is stable without them in place (fracture non-union, Charcot joints, etc. have to be taken into consideration).

Remember that surgeons are in the business of doing surgery. I wouldn't have them taken out without getting at least a second and perhaps even a 3rd opinion from a surgeon who specialized in orthopedic spine surgery.

(KLD)