Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Drug Rehabilitation Centers--Please Help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Houston, TX

    Drug Rehabilitation Centers--Please Help

    Is anyone familiar with a drug rehabilitation center that accepts quadriplegics for long-term inpatient treatment. My son is addicted to (and heavily abusing) Xanax, Loritab, Oxycontin(sic) and Soma. He is using a large chunk of his monthly SS Disability checks to purchase this medication over the internet. I have contacted several facilities in Houston, but upon hearing that he needed assistance with his bowel program and bathing, he was turned down. I should mention that he is the only quadriplegic in his small Louisiana town. The local doctors have been hesitant to treat him. He is alone most of the time and is very depressed. So, another consideration would be a facility that teaches various skills and offers extracurricular activities. Perhaps if he had the opportunity to participate in sports, and be around people who understand what it is like to be paralyzed, the drug problem might be overcome. He was in drug treatment twice in 10 years prior to his accident and knows the drill. Now, to complicate matters further, he only has Medicaid (Medicare will start up April 2004) and does not have the funds to cover the cost of treatment; therefore, the facility would have to be the type that accepts some charity cases. Any help you can lend will be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid my son's days are numbered. If you've made it this far, thank you for your time.

  2. #2
    This is a major problem for many people with serious disabilities. Of course the program cannot just reject him due to his disability. Who does his care at home? I know several people who have gotten into inpatient programs when they agreed to have a family member or attendant come in and do their personal care in the AM. These programs do have nurses, but most have no experience in caring for a person with SCI, and they are not staffed to provided intensive nursing care. This may mean that a family member may need to temporarily relocate to be close enough to the program to help with this.

    Of course obtaining narcotics on the internet without a legitimate physician's prescription is illegal, and could end up putting him into jail. He needs to consider this seriously as it is NOT fun being in jail or prison as a person with quadriplegia. Is he using his own computer or yours? Is he living in your home or his own place?

    Since this is an ADA issue, I would request a special meeting with the administrator of the program(s) you are trying to get him into. Discuss accomodations, and what you could provide as far as support. I would also suggest contacting your local advocacy organizations for mental health issues as well as any government agency responsible for licensing drug rehab programs in your area (contact your Department of Health to get started on this). You may want to ask a representative from one of these organizations to attend such a meeting as well.

    An alternative would be for a program that could provide non-residential outpatient drug rehab, but still an intensive program.

    Of course, bottom line, your son will have to make the decision to go into a program and make the committment to stay on a program. No one can make him or force him to do this.

    Contact your closest ILC ( ) for some contacts of peers to help your son get to meet people from the disability community. In some areas there are NA or AA groups that are set up specifically for people with disabilities as well. I would also call and talk with one of the social workers or psychologists at TIRR to see if they have any substance abuse or peer referrals they could help you with.

    I hope that you will get some more specific advice from others who know Texas resources more than myself.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts