Thread: I am keeping track of Mike's progress and

I am keeping track of Mike's progress and

I notice that every few days, a bit of feeling returns for Mike. I have a sharpie and I draw a line where he can feel, then go back and check again a few days later and I make a new line where he can feel. Am I being a weirdo? I read in another post that Wise said in his history he has seen about 17% completes have revocery. Is this part of recovery or is this normal. Also, he can feel more on one side of his chest then the other. He is about 40 days post injury. I am here at the rehab with him today.

Ok, and one more thing, I think I remember that T4 is nipple line is that on the bottom or top of nipple and if I want to measure T level, I know what in means with regard to the spine, but how do I measure it on the skin? i.e. if nipple line is T4, is T5 an inch down, then T7 one more inch or??

Another thing I notice is on his back his tocuh sensation kind of skips around. Like he can feel me touch him in some low place and then when I touch an inch about that he feels nothing??...

Thanks
    Last edited by ChopperChick; 04-30-2006 at 04:51 PM.

Here's a .pdf with classification. Hope this helps.

Ugh!! Can't read pdf's here in the hospital I will try to google.

Ok I copy and pasted this....

Discrepant lower thoracic vertebral and cord levels. The spinal vertebral and cord segmental levels become increasingly discrepant further down the spinal column. For example, a T8 vertebral injury will result in a T12 spinal cord or neurological level. A T11 vertebral injury, in fact, will result in a L5 lumbar spinal cord level. Most patients and even many doctors do not understand how discrepant the vertebral and spinal cord levels can get in the lower spinal cord.

What does this mean if my husband broke T6 T7 and T8? Again, we are 40 days post.

First, I think what you're doing here at CC for your husband is great. He's a lucky guy.

second, there is people around here more qualified than me to explain that to you.

As far as the whole daily examining goes, does it really matter? I only ask because that probably would have pissed me off if I was lying there with a fresh injury. Make sure you remind the guy it's okay if nothing comes back at all. All you can do is rehab, exercise, stay healthy, and adjust/except the new life. Counting the levels of return day by day, centimeter by centimeter is sure putting on the pressure.

no offense meant, just my opinion.

That's a way of looking at it Brian. I have told him if he never recovers that is okay, but with all the anger and depression going on right now, I try to use it as a bit of a motivator.

Can you go to http://adobe.com/ and download Adobe Reader which would allow you to open the .pdf?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I'm classified a T4 complete. When I was first hurt, I was out of it for a few weeks. Then when I woke up, I couldn't even raise my head off the pillow, I was fed by nurses. Over a couple more weeks I finally got to feeding myself. I was weak as crap for a few months, used a sliding board to do transfers until about 6 months.

In the first few months, it seems to be the norm to regain a small amount of feeling as the initial shock/swelling go down in the spinal cord. Now don't get discouraged as it may CONTINUE to gain over time, especially the first couple of years. Exercise will maximize any potential gain and should be done daily, along with stretching and range of motion on the non-functioning parts.
    I was a fool and quit the stretching/range of motion shortly aftyer going home due to all the trouble with the ex. I now deeply regret this as my legs and hips have limited range of movement making some transfers difficult and other things regarding types of chairs I can use. ANYway...

I feel just about half inch below my right nipple, 4 fingers below my left nipple, and it's a jagged uneven line around my sides to my back. I can feel to the bottom left bolt on my hardware in my back, very slightly the bottom right bolt.
    But the perceived pain in the hardware and ribcage goes from little to great at random. With regular exercise on my handcycle it is least. Wintertime is the worst. Jarring around on rough ground in a powerchair really agitates it.
    I am skin and bones from my nipples down. And since I can't really feel anything, I learned to say the heck with all the neuro pain and hurting, it's helps to bear it better.
    If he wants to know what helps pain and aggravation, or at least what I did those first few years, pm me.
    I do the magic marker trick occasionally, it helps me to mentally say "If it's below this line, who gives a shiRt! It ain't REALLY pain, lol.

Be patient but firm with him about exercise, he'll be thankful down the road.
    It doesn't help to be peeesed about the accident. It's better to just be thankful to be alive, have someone who cares, and get on with life.
    You may be the motivator for a while, it sounds like. Don't get discouraged yourself. Remember, trying times build character.
    God Bless you guys, hang in there and the folks here are all about help.

Dr. Young goes into great detail in this post I think it will answer most of your questions.
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49346

nipples

CC; I know you are suffering 2.Try 2 take care of yourself. I remember finding a large Cathedral down the street from the hospital. Just days after my son's t/8 complete injury. I remember begging God to strike me down dead if he would fix my Mike. Please get any council you can. You can help your Mike only if you are ok. Not preaching just hindsight. Best wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    That's a way of looking at it Brian. I have told him if he never recovers that is okay, but with all the anger and depression going on right now, I try to use it as a bit of a motivator.