THE VOICE OF THE STEM CELL COMMUNITY

presents

STANFORD UNIVERSITY
    Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center
    PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIA

JUNE 9th through 11th, 2006

http://www.pro-cures.com/

Program

This year's "Stem Cell Policy & Advocacy Summit: Empowering the Pro-Cures Coalition" promises to be a highly interactive experience. The reasons: We want to build on last year's momentum, and we don't want you to have to "reinvent the wheel." This is the ultimate networking opportunity. You'll have ample opportunity to ask questions of some top stem cell research experts, plus trade your vital lessons and insights with other advocates. Some up-to-the-minute issues that will be presented include:
    • <LI type=disc>Stem Cells 101. Dr. Christopher Scott, director of Stanford's Program for Stem Cells and Society and author of the acclaimed book, Stem Cell Now, will describe the basics of stem cell research.

<LI type=disc>Critical scientific updates. Dr. Evan Snyder (the Burnham Institute), Lawrence S. B. Goldstein (University of California, San Diego) and other top stem cell scientists will report on developments you need to know about from the world of research. What is the promise of this vital research for patients with diabetes, Parkinson's, spinal cord injury, Alzheimer's and a host of other medical conditions for which no cures are known?

<LI type=disc>Current federal and state issues. Get a real behind-closed-doors look at what is happening now with federal policies and in the states from members of the board of the Coalition for Advancement of Medical Research in Washington. The panel will include Tricia Books, Director of Government Relations of the Christopher Reeve Foundation; Mary Richards, Director of Government Relations of the Parkinson's Action Network and Michael Werner of The Werner Group, member of the board of the Coalition for Advancement of Medical Research.

<LI type=disc>The Decoy Bills. Harvard expert Louis Guenin will train a sceptical eye on the supposed moral superiority of using "alternative" means for obtaining pluripotent stem cells, including "alternate nuclear transfer," in lieu of mainstream embryonic stem cell research.

<LI type=disc>What can we learn from the Korean cloning scandal? Dr. David Magnus of Stanford will explain where Korean stem cell research went wrong, leading to the explosive events of 2005 and 2006. He will highlight the critical lessons that the Pro-Cures Coalition must take away from this tragedy.

<LI type=disc>Vexing issues on egg donations, and how to resolve them. How will researchers procure the eggs needed to advance research using nuclear transfer? Stanford expert, Hank Greely, and other leading bioethicists illuminate the issue and provide solutions.

<LI type=disc>Should there be a constitutionally protected "freedom of inquiry?" Nobel Laureate and scientific visionary Dr. Paul Berg will offer an insightful view of what he regards as a fundamental right - the "freedom of inquiry" to allow scientists to advance research for the public good.

<LI type=disc>The social-conservative agenda to shut down stem cell research. GPI's Director of Public Policy Research and Education, Eve Herold (author of the upcoming book Stem Cell Wars: Inside Stories from the Frontlines) names names, follows the money and explains how right-to-life groups have managed to dominate the political landscape on stem cell research.

<LI type=disc>Imagining the Blastocyst. What are the psychological motivations of the foes of embryonic stem cell research? Psychiatrist, Dr. Stephen Levick, of the University of Pennsylvania, is the author of Clone Being, a book on the psychology of clones and cloning. He offers a powerful perspective how many research opponents imagine the source of embryonic stem cells, the blastocyst.

<LI type=disc>Building an effective grassroots movement. How Hadassah, the Parkinson's Action Network and the Student Society for Stem Cell Research created national advocacy programs that have had a major impact on stem cell policy and education. The panel will include Hadassah Director of Advocacy, Shelly Klein; Amy Comstock, Executive Director of the Parkinson's Actin Network and Marion J. Riggs, founder and president of the Student Society for Stem Cell Research.

<LI type=disc>Patient-advocates share their stories. Hear the dramatic stories of stem cell advocates James Reston, Jr. (author of Galileo and Fragile Innocence), Danny Heumann (who is leading the stem cell research advocacy effort in Michigan), Don Reed (father of a paralyzed son, author of the "Roman Reed Act" and a key Prop 71 advocate) and Jeff McCaffrey (paralyzed by a football injury while a cadet at the U.S. Air Force Academy, Jeff currently leads the UMKC chapter of SSSCR and serves on the board of the Missouri Coalition for Lifesaving Cures).

<LI type=disc>Crafting a winning pro-stem cell research message for the media. Award-winning political strategist Ben Goddard of Goddard Claussen Strategic Advocacy will answer your questions on crafting a winning message and managing a successful advocacy campaign.

<LI type=disc>Progress report from the National Institutes of Health. Leaders from the Stem Cell Task Force of the NIH provide an update on federally funded efforts in stem cell research.

<LI type=disc>Taking research from the lab to the clinic. How will business and patent issues impact the delivery of stem cell treatments to patients? Will our regulatory system work to deliver on the promise of lifesaving stem cell research? Top patent lawyers and biotech experts, including G. Stephen Burrill (Burrill & Company), will explain the private research landscape and offer suggestions to remove bottlenecks.

<LI type=disc>Fulfilling the promise of Proposition 71. Bob Klein, Chairman of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine will deliver an update and "state of the state" address on the ground breaking and embattled California initiative. He will explain the plan to expedite funding of the state's $3 billion stem cell research fund in spite of the lawsuits aimed at overriding the will of California voters.
    • International challenges to stem cell research. Marco Cappato, a member of the European Parliament, describes the global challenge to advancing stem cell research and the launch of the World Congress for Freedom of Scientific Research.
  3. Also, the Genetics Policy Institute will present this year's stem cell advocacy awards to those organizations and individuals who have had major impact on stem cell policy.

Advocates throughout the country have begun to lay the groundwork for a Pro-Cures Movement. Now it's time to take stem cell research to the next level. Help us continue to build a cohesive, nationwide movement to put patients first by supporting life-saving research.

This conference will be held at the beautiful Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center at Stanford University. Registration includes an opening night reception and all meals during the conference, including the awards dinner on Saturday, June 10.

VENUE

Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center

click here
    HOTEL

The Westin Palo Alto

click here
    AIRPORT INFORMATION / DRIVING DIRECTIONS

click here
    Learn more about the GENETICS POLICY INSTITUTE.

click here
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Embryonic Stem Cell Research Advocates Threaten Pro-Life Lawmakers in 2006

Embryonic Stem Cell Research Advocates Threaten Pro-Life Lawmakers in 2006

by Steven Ertelt
    LifeNews.com Editor
    May 1, 2006

Palo Alto, CA (LifeNews.com) -- Embryonic stem cell research advocates are threatening pro-life lawmakers in advance of the November elections, saying they will be "held accountable" for opposing using taxpayer funds to pay for the research that involves the destruction of human life.

The Genetics Policy Institute is planning a June summit stem cell research policy at Stanford University. The meeting is co-sponsored by Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research, the biotech lobbying group, and is an attempt to get embryonic stem cell research advocates together and discuss ways to use the issue in the upcoming elections.

Bernard Siegel, executive director of the Genetics Policy Institute, describes the gathering in the kind of fatalistic terms pro-life lawmakers can expect to see used in television commercials against them this fall.

"Where delay is measured in human suffering and death, thoughtful people from around the world are demanding that stem cell research for cures proceed as rapidly as possible," he said.

"Stem cell research is a key wedge issue and certain elected officials will likely be held accountable for denying patients' hope for cures," Siegel threatened.

Siegel said the summit will be a place to orchestrate strategy against pro-life candidates by painting them as unconcerned with helping patients because they don't back the ineffective research -- which has yet to help a single person.

"The Summit will empower the broad and rapidly expanding 'Pro-Cures Coalition' movement, which will play an absolutely pivotal role in the electoral process in 2006 and 2008," Siegel said......

http://www.lifenews.com/bio1485.html

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

ProfessirX, thanks for being active on Stem Cell Research!!!

ProfessirX has a unique inroad to the conscience of the american people: thru music!!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=557475735&n=2

Thanks for being the ultimate Pro-Cures Activist!!!

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

John Smith--thanks for the heads up on this Conference. Anyone else from CC planning on attending?

Meet with many Long=Time Stem Cell Research Activists

Dan_NC, I will be at the CA conference traveling from Florida with my son Jason(16) who has been quadriplegic for 9 1/2 years now.

We will be meeting up with many long-time Stem Cell Research Activists:

Advocates for stem cell research to gather at Stanford for national summit

BY MICHELLE L. BRANDT

Don Reed has become a staple at the meetings of the institute responsible for California's funding of stem cell research. Attend one and you'll likely see him scribbling notes or taking the microphone to address the crowd. But Reed isn't a scientist, a government staffer or even a reporter. Reed is a patient advocate—the father of a quadriplegic son—and he's spent the past several years feverishly promoting and lobbying for stem cell research in California and beyond.

In an effort to energize people like Reed and to encourage involvement among others in the national stem cell debate, the Genetics Policy Institute, a Florida-based nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing stem cell research, and the School of Medicine are holding a three-day conference on stem cell science and policy.

The conference, "Stem cell policy and advocacy summit: Empowering the pro-cures coalition," is being sponsored by the Stanford Center of Biomedical Ethics. It will run June 9-11 at the Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center.

"This summit provides an opportunity for leaders of grassroots organizations, researchers, students, biotech leaders and key decision-makers to interact and discuss the future strategies to advance this potentially lifesaving research," said Bernard Siegel, the Genetic Policy Institute's executive director. "As stakeholder groups become aware of the promise of stem cell research, increasing demands are being made to remove the political and legal roadblocks delaying potential cures."

The stem cell gathering will feature presentations by Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle; Nobel laureate Paul Berg, PhD, the Robert W. and Vivian K. Cahill Professor of Cancer Research, Emeritus, at Stanford; Bob Klein, chair of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine; Evan Snyder, MD, PhD, director of the Burnham Institute's stem cell program; and James Reston Jr., author of Galileo and Fragile Innocence.

Representatives from the Christopher Reeve Foundation, Parkinson's Action Network and Hadassah, as well as Reed and other leaders of the activist community will also give presentations. "I'll discuss how everyday people with no training can make a difference in matters that affect everyone's lives," said Reed, who in 2000 helped write and pass legislation that provided more funding for spinal cord injury research in California.

"Some of the most interesting parts of the event will be talks on policy and advocacy: how to get bills passed by state legislatures, how to build grassroots organizations," said Christopher Scott, executive director of the Stanford's Program on Stem Cells and Society and the conference co-chair. "It's a real training opportunity for out-of-state policy-makers and advocates who want to push an agenda similar to California's."........

For more information and to register for the conference, please visit http://www.pro-cures.com/. The registration fee is $495 per attendee; a discounted rate of $195 is available for full-time students.
    The Coalition for Advancement of Medical Research, the Alliance for Stem Cell Research and the Student Society for Stem Cell Research are also sponsoring this event.

http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...ll-053106.html
    Last edited by Faye; 06-02-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Dan_NC, I will be at the CA conference traveling from Florida with my son Jason(16) who has been quadriplegic for 9 1/2 years now.
    Faye, I regret not being able to attend. If I give you a question for Louis Guenin, would you mind asking it for me?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Please follow The CareCure Copyright Policy

When posting articles, please comply with the CareCure copyright policy. CareCure has been threatened with legal action for copyright violations previously. As members you have agreed to follow this policy, please comply so as to not jeapordize CareCure and its operation.

Guidelines are posted here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=48906
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Faye, I regret not being able to attend. If I give you a question for Louis Guenin, would you mind asking it for me?
    Syeven, sure no problem.

I am always acutely aware that it's been just as long for you as it's been for Jason,.............

Just let me know by e-mail, PM or post.

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Syeven, sure no problem.
    Thanks Faye. I will put one together and post it here.

I am always acutely aware that it's been just as long for you as it's been for Jason,.............
    August will mark 10 years for me. I can't say I'm looking forward to reaching double-digits. A hurricane ruined my tenth birthday, so I'm curious as to whether something will happen this August.

With funding and a clinical trial network, it shouldn't be much longer for Jason or me.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast