Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really - What does Denial mean?

Really - What does Denial mean?

Besides the definition in the dictionary, what does denial really mean to everyone?

Maybe that was too broad

All I really want to know is what to SCI's view as denial. Neglectful behavior towards health, not wanting to go out of the house, etc. I am just curious to know from those people who may have experieince some form of denial. Let me know what you think it means.

I'm fine, no really I'm doing great. I can handle it, no problem. I'm actually happier being alone. I never got along with people anyway. What ever.

flyfisher, that sounds more like depression than denial to me
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I guess that is why I asked the question. I guess I think that denial is a part of the bigger picture of depression. All to be expected - thanks!~

I have found that denial / depression is something every SCI individual has to deal with on their own. Counseling, drugs are not successful. Denial and Depression to some degree will never go away.

Denial is the absence of acceptance. In our case it probably means refusing to accept the situation and instead convincing yourself it is temporary and that you will soon make it all the way back (which I hope all of us do). The problem is that some of us won´t, and if in denial, a depression will likely follow. Does it make sense?? It made sense to me before deciding to write this post.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Denial is the absence of acceptance. In our case it probably means refusing to accept the situation and instead convincing yourself it is temporary and that you will soon make it all the way back (which I hope all of us do). The problem is that some of us won´t, and if in denial, a depression will likely follow. Does it make sense?? It made sense to me before deciding to write this post.
    Some realities are too harsh to accept which I think is why almost nine years post, I still live in that denial phase.

I posted on this but see my post is gone, so i will repost.

The first two years after my acident were really tough. The pain was horrible, then to be told repeately it was all in my head and I was a drugseeker was more than I could take. I cried a lot, to say the least.

once I finally got osmeone to listen to me and was put on antidepressants, I got to the point where i could deal better. After about a year i could deal with things and went off the prozac. I still have a hard time. Prior to injury I was independant and didn't ask for help doing anything. after? I needed help dressing. It was horrible. Forget working on my own car, and keeping a household running, i couldn't function--and i was a single parent of a 4 yr old at the time. argh.

sometimes I still have a hard time. the pain this past weekend was of the 10 scale. I overdid this week (I do that often) and there was a storm that rolled thru. I think I am in some element of denial -- I push myself to do things that used to be so easy, now it's so hard and drains me. Pre-accident scrubbing down a room prior to surgery would have been no big deal. I scrubbed down teh walls of my house all the time. Now, scrubbing down the surgery room takes the wind right out of me. I have to rest for a bit before I am ready to assist with the surgery. Good thing the room has to sit wet for 20 min!

I would love to have flowerbeds this year, but the truth is I can't keep up with them. I know the plants would die anywas bc I woudl be too wiped out from work. Same for the garden. I tried last year and it was a waste of money for the amt I put into it. I don't know why I thought I could do it. Denial, I guess. This year, it's disappointment bc I know better than to even try. I guess i give up.

I'll NEVER accept my sci situation as permanent. 27 years post, I'm still in denial and lovin' it!
    Denial is simply NOT buying into a limiting conventional point of view concerning ability!
    It's a healthy essential aspect of healing one's heart. imo.
    Dream... of the cure.
    It's only a day away.
    Last edited by PeteShick; 05-01-2006 at 10:18 PM.