Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NIH Funding

NIH Funding

Hi everyone,
    Here is a link to an excellent editorial article written by Andrew Marks about the funding crisis for basic science research at NIH / NINDS, that will undoubtedly have a major impact on SCI research. http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/116/4/844

I agree with most points in this article. Yes it is right that money be made available for clinical trials but not at the expense of research that can and will provide trully effective treatments. Basic research labs are already closing. Junior researchers are particularly vulnerable and there is already talk of a whole generation of medical research scientists being lost if the current funding strategy continues. Funding of already awarded NIH grants was actually cut this past year and the rumour is that there are to be major cuts in the numbers of new or renewed grants to be funded by NINDS next year.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I think it is important to inform the SCI community what we scientists are currently facing.

This probably belongs in the politics forum, but all that money is probably going overseas to fund the "war".

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies
    Hi everyone,
    Here is a link to an excellent editorial article written by Andrew Marks about the funding crisis for basic science research at NIH / NINDS, that will undoubtedly have a major impact on SCI research. http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/116/4/844

I agree with most points in this article. Yes it is right that money be made available for clinical trials but not at the expense of research that can and will provide trully effective treatments. Basic research labs are already closing. Junior researchers are particularly vulnerable and there is already talk of a whole generation of medical research scientists being lost if the current funding strategy continues.
    It's great to get another scientist's view on the many redundant clinical trials.

I posted another thread recently too pertaining to the reluctance of young scientists to get into the Embryonic Stem Cell Research field here:
    No scientist dares pin a career on a discipline that could be outlawed at any moment

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Thank you Dr. Davies.

That article emphasizes what Dr. Young has been telling us. Future cuts in NIH funding will negatively impact scientific progress in general and SCI research in particular.

That is why appropriations bills are so important.

If the CRPA bill is not passed, I sincerely hope that you're able to secure the funding you need to complete your research. Can you give us an idea of your annual research budget?
    Last edited by antiquity; 04-30-2006 at 01:24 AM.

productivity and impact of the previously funded period

This part I agree with most:

Fourth, the process for funding established investigators needs to be streamlined and focused on productivity rather than on false promises. Some scientists are receiving millions of dollars of precious NIH funding and have little to show for it. Established investigators applying for competitive renewals should be required to provide a brief progress report and outline of proposed new directions along with their top 3–5 papers published in the previous funding period. The study sections could then make renewal contingent on the productivity and impact of the previously funded period, by far the best indicator of future success.

NIH is no more better than FEMA.

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    NIH is no more better than FEMA.

I'll second that!
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Atleast the NIH isn't headed by the Arabian horses guy!

Quote Originally Posted by stlyin moe
    I'll second that!
    I disagree. If the two of you really think that NIH is like FEMA, I don't think that you understand what NIH is and what it does. I am saddened by these statements. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I disagree. If the two of you really think that NIH is like FEMA, I don't think that you understand what NIH is and what it does. I am saddened by these statements. Wise.
    I am also saddened by the outright nonsensical pissing away of cash that could be used for much better research. A perfect example is this "Natural Fit Handrim" ( http://www.3rivers.com/Natural-FitFAQ.php ). The NIH pissed away $200,000.00 on the development of this thing. This is an outrageous waste of vital funds.

I understand the mission of the NIH, but to turn a blind eye to instances like this only undermines our overall efforts and makes you wonder just how much of the NIH's budget is being wasted on junk research...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson