Thread: Metamucil/milk of magnesia

Metamucil/milk of magnesia

Would using these two products at the same time counter the effects of each other?

I'm trying to get a regular program going, and have had no luck. i'm c5/6, 4yrs post...& have had horriblr ab pain over the last year
    Last edited by ScottS; 04-26-2006 at 02:42 PM.

My husband takes both every night. Seems to be working fine for him.

If you do take both, I would recommend Metamucil 1-2x daily(won't work intermittently) and take MOM 3x weekly along with dig stim for bowel evacuation.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If you do take both, I would recommend Metamucil 1-2x daily(won't work intermittently) and take MOM 3x weekly along with dig stim for bowel evacuation.

AAD
    Is this recommendation for a bowel maintenance program or is it more for clearing up constipation? I'm pretty sure I'm slightly constipated right now, so I want to take care of that but I also want to develop a good bowel maintenance program, too.

OK, I started using Metamucil three days ago, and for the last two days I had no result from my bowel program. This morning I had a fairly large result, and it was pretty soft.

My question is... when should I expect regularity? I was stopped up pretty badly, and I imagine there's still plenty firm fecal matter up in there. Will everything just even out? I also imagine there's probably A LOT of stool still inside of me overall. I probably need to have result that's about 2-3 days big before I'm back to normal and the whites of my eyes aren't brown! Will this just eventually happen on its own?

If I take milk of magnesia in the meantime will that get more out so that I can be caught back up?

Hi,

Metamucil alone is rarely enough for a regular bowel program.
    Adding MOM 3x weekly along with dig stimulation is a regular program many people use. If you are very constipated now, to catch up, you could try the MOM but if no result, I would take a bottle of Citrate of Magnesium to clean everything out first then begin the Met/MOM.

AAD