Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which scissor brakes do you think are the best???

which scissor brakes do you think are the best???

I have the new composite tilite scissor brakes, and they suck.. i cannot keep them tight enough so my chair doesnt move. i am constantly having to readjust them. the bolts that keep them on the chair arent strong enough so after a few adjustments, they get stripped so then i have trouble getting them off to replace the bolts. i am always having to tweak all the other screws that are on it, because they either come loose or whatever and the whole mechanisms doesnt work right.

its a great idea, but poor design. i do like the spring action, do you know of any better spring action scissor brakes i could try?

what do u feel are the best scissor brakes to have on your chair?
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

I have spring action breaks on my Quickie GT...if the brakes you got are similar to what my roommate got on her TRC, then I can see why you do not like them. Mine are spring loaded, but to lock them you move the "handle" part away from your legs (under your butt). The lock moves in the opposite direction towards the tire. My roommate's seem weird as both the handle and the lock moves towards the tire.

I am pretty happy with mine...I am not catching my fingers on them, and they hold really well on my KIK solids (the tires never move) which is surprising considering how brakes in general usually do not bite well into solid tires.

best i have found josh are the quickie scissor brakes w/ short mounting block. the mounting block is usually the issue. they are reverse lock. pull to lock push to unlock.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've found the new Ti-Lite scissor brakes to be a fast improvement over the old ones, installed them & haven't touched them since, like scissor brakes you need to be at max tire inflation for them to work though.

My favourite scissor brakes of all time are the ones that were on my old Action AC.

When I demo-ed a Kuschall, the scissor breaks on it were AWESOME...That was my first experience w/scissor breaks & I thought that all scissors would be like that...

The older style Colours scissors that I have are a constant pain and have NEVER been able to get adjusted right....

Karl(Canuck) sent me a couple sets of his older scissors to try on my chair...they just came in the mail today...HOPEFULLY one of them will make me a happy breaker. THANKS KARL, I'll let ya know how they do...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Chelle the black ones that have been McGyvered are the old AC brakes. Other set are original Ti-Lite

Karl(Canuck) sent me a couple sets of his older scissors to try on my chair...they just came in the mail today...HOPEFULLY one of them will make me a happy breaker. THANKS KARL, I'll let ya know how they do...[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    When I demo-ed a Kuschall, the scissor breaks on it were AWESOME...That was my first experience w/scissor breaks & I thought that all scissors would be like that...

The older style Colours scissors that I have are a constant pain and have NEVER been able to get adjusted right....

Karl(Canuck) sent me a couple sets of his older scissors to try on my chair...they just came in the mail today...HOPEFULLY one of them will make me a happy breaker. THANKS KARL, I'll let ya know how they do...
    colours brakes do suck. try the reverse lock quickies w/ short block. thats what ive been running on my eclipses for years
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    colours brakes do suck. try the reverse lock quickies w/ short block. thats what ive been running on my eclipses for years
    Thanx for the recommendation...If neither of the sets from Karl work, I'll try those out....I did REALLY like the Kuscall ones too...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Thanx for the recommendation...If neither of the sets from Karl work, I'll try those out....I did REALLY like the Kuscall ones too...
    i never tried kuschalls. i started useing the quickies when i bought a halls wheels chair ,they came on it. didnt like the chair but i liked th brakes. the reason they are more effective is because they sit very close under your seat, very little room for the arm to twist.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

The Colours Scissor brakes that came with my chair were horrible. Tehy wouldn't stay tight and needed constant adjusting. I called them last August and they sent me new ones -- new design and they work MUCH better.