Thread: Any Experience with this Handcycle?

Any Experience with this Handcycle?

Dennis just ordered this bike at the Abilities Expo last weekend. He does not have any experience with these bikes yet, and I was hoping someone else has used this model and has some advice or suggestions on how to start. He is C5/6.

Thanks!

http://bike-on.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=52&id=410

I have one just like it in blue. Bought it 18 months ago and have used it three or four times, was measured too small and I just haven't gotten into the habit. I am a T6 and it feels kind of weird at first but then you slowly become familiar with it. It seems to me that he will need some chest or shoulder straps for safety though, and should have ordered a very tall back. Also, I am not sure how a quad would grip the handles, some sort of grip or glove will be needed, others may be more help in this area. Start on a safe, flat and uncrowded bike path.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1
    Dennis just ordered this bike at the Abilities Expo last weekend. He does not have any experience with these bikes yet, and I was hoping someone else has used this model and has some advice or suggestions on how to start. He is C5/6.

Thanks!

http://bike-on.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=52&id=410
    Meg1 I just ordered same cycle in orange Friday.I'm ac5/6 quad. i oreder quad gloves made specilally for quads. ordered mine from www.spinlife.com. I have never been on 1 ,let you know it works.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Talking Like my Quickie

I've had my handcycle for several years now and love the exercise it gives me in the warmer weather here in NJ and even took it to Florida this past winter. The terrain must be flat even with 7 gears, however, and I have fairly good upper body strength (T5/6).
    Good luck to Dennis ~ enjoy!

Cool

Will he really have to ride on a flat surface always? I ask only because there are lots of hills he rides his manual with power assist wheels on. He did order a taller back with lap and chest straps, along with the quad grip gloves.

He's looking forward to trying to tackle hills

I think that is similar to the bike that Christopher uses and I don't think he bikes soley on flat round. I know he mentioned getting his dog to help pull him to get the momentiom started or to help on the hills a little but after that he seems to get around well on his own. Do a search I know he started what became a long thread about his biking last year.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

I had the same bike for a week to try out and really liked it (im 5/6 also).The transfer wasnt as bad as i thougjht it would be,the balance is nice i use my rugby belt to strap myself in nice and tight,the self centering steering is great.Just hop on and go.good luck.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I'm a t4 but here is my perspective.
    I live in east TN, VERY hilly. When I first started out, a mile up the road and rest a couple of minutes then back down to the house. Tough getting in and out cause I was T I R E D.
    I didn't ride much for 2 yrs after that, because I broke both my hips and got pressure sore complications after that.
    THEN I got on that puppy, rode a almost 5 mile route, slowly this time as I knew it was harder than it looked. As time went on, I was up to 25-30 mile rides daily and feeling good. Took me two months. I rode an occasional 40-45 mile route by month 3 but never more than 2 days in a row.
    I am certain he will be able to ride hills. It will just take time to build up. There are quads who ride worldwide and do hills. There is an Army vet/triple amputee. He only has one arm, that does the Ride the Rockies. That Vietnam Vet, he's no spring chicken. If he is willing, he can do it. IF he needs lower gearing, it's out there. These bikes use standard bicycle parts for cranks and gears, etc. If you guys aren't familiar with bike inner workings, go to a bike shop. If you are mechanically inclined, you can find all the info AND parts online. If you want more in depth information, just pm me or post and if I don't answer, pm me to alert me to the post. I'm more than happy to help.

NEVER say never.

Thanks!

http://bike-on.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=52&id=410[/quote]

Meg,
    I just rode that exect bike a couple of weeks ago in Seattle. A company named "ski for all" had a demo day. I am a c7t1 low level quad and it was pretty easy. I found it very hard to get on and off of, infact I needed assistance. It sure was alot of fun though. Thecouple of things that were strange to me was 1) You need a wide area to turn around in and 2) you can't back up. So it would definitely take a little time to get used to for sure. I can't wait to go and ride again. I am going to rent one for a day from this company for sure. Good exercise and lot's of fun. I'm going to save up for to purchase my own. Good luck.