Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Own A Stand-up Wheelchair ? And I Like To Know What You Think Of It.

I use a Lifestand stander - it has a couple of distinct advantages over the levo - firstly it has solid arms around your front rather than a strap which gives you something to lean on while you're standing which is much better - also it has an attachable tray which will raise up with you and stay level so you can put tools and the like on it to do jobs or stuff to put up on high shelves or in the top of high cupboards. I've used it to put up shelves and the like and can even change light bulbs with it. IMHO it's a lot more flexible than a Levo.

Definately wouldn't want to use it as an every day chair and couldn't load it in out of the car on my own but as a tool to get things done or a standing device to set up in front of the playstation it's second to none

Russ - T2 complete

[quote=russ1]I use a Lifestand stander - it has a couple of distinct advantages over the levo - firstly it has solid arms around your front rather than a strap which gives you something to lean on while you're standing which is much better - also it has an attachable tray which will raise up with you and stay level so you can put tools and the like on it to do jobs or stuff to put up on high shelves or in the top of high cupboards. I've used it to put up shelves and the like and can even change light bulbs with it. IMHO it's a lot more flexible than a Levo.

Definately wouldn't want to use it as an every day chair and couldn't load it in out of the car on my own but as a tool to get things done or a standing device to set up in front of the playstation it's second to none /quote]

When I was in Rehab at Miami Physical Therapy Associates I was offered a Lifestand, and considered buying it instead of a Levo. At the time it seemed bulky and would limit the use I would give the chair. In retrospect I think it may be a better option, the handles probably make standing a lot more comfortable and the knee straps (or clamps in the lifestand) are probably more comfortable as well. The problem with standing chairs is that, at least a couple of years back, they were not sold through the major internet or catalogue dealers that I could find at the time (neither the people at the hospital or therapy lead me to spinlife or care, etc.), and the markup of the small local vendor was crazy. I was one of the ones that bought everything in site, and most of it (like my tricycle) is piling up dust in my garage, or used sparingly.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Standing Wheelchair

Simon has had the SuperStand by The Standing Company for a couple of years. It based out at $7,500 when he got his. He loves the chair.

They custom make them to your height, weight, etc. It was nice for us because they brought one to therapy for Simon to try out. We decided to make the trip to Bridgeport (Saginaw), MI to check out the place they make them and actually have him fitted when we had raised the money to purchase it. It's a neat trip because it's only about 15 minutes from Frankenmuth and Birch Run (great chicken dinner at Zehnders and outlet mall shopping!). You don't have to go to the factory though because they will fit you at your home.

On Simon's chair, the arm rests swivel to become chest guards when he stands (no straps). The front wheels lift off the ground so he is stationary while standing. The chair is heavy so he can't take it with him when he is out and about on his own. It does fold up and fits in the trunk of our Monte Carlo. The footrests, arm rests, wheels, etc. come off so I am able to lift it in. I put my back into spasms a few times before I started removing the wheels before lifting it.

You can check out the chair at www.thestandingcompany.com if you want to see what it's like. The chair is more bulky then a Levo chair but can be converted to a power chair if your abilities decrease.

mrsnomis
    spouse of imnomis (T-12 incomplete)

Is the superstandĀ“s standing mechanism manual or powered?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

SuperStand / The Standing Company

Simon's SuperStand is manual. The Standing Company also makes a electric stander. In fact, his manual wheelchair can be coverted to electric someday, if he should chose to do that.

Simon has had the chair for almost three years. We stop back every spring to see the guys that built it. Last April they put new covers on the arms and upgraded the brakes to the new ones they had come out with at not additional charge. You don't get service like that from everyone.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just found the thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by imnomis
    Simon's SuperStand is manual. The Standing Company also makes a electric stander. In fact, his manual wheelchair can be coverted to electric someday, if he should chose to do that.

Simon has had the chair for almost three years. We stop back every spring to see the guys that built it. Last April they put new covers on the arms and upgraded the brakes to the new ones they had come out with at not additional charge. You don't get service like that from everyone.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just found the thread again.
    I am dealing with The Standing Company right now. I actually have a manual standing wheelchair at my house to test out for the day. I have no idea if I want one or not yet..I can't really see myself using it much. I don't like how bulky it is.. it is definately something I would have to get used to. The electric one that you are talking about is called the half power chair. I tried that out last week and no way am I getting that! It took some getting used to thats for sure! If you plan on using it in the house you can expect the walls to be getting banged up!

Anyways..they seem like a good company, but are waay pushy. They are definately salesman thats for sure! I don't know how many times I had to tell that guy I wasn't his sister-He kept calling me "Sis"!!!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Standing wheelchair

We didn't find them pushy at all. Dave came to the Sparrow rehab at the request of Simon's therapist when we were talking to her about standing frames. He brought a chair with him for Simon to try out. Seeing him stand brought both of us to tears.

A week later we received a thank you for letting them show us the chair along with a picture of the two of us standing next to each other for the first time since his accident. That was the extent of their push. We didn't hear from them again until I told them a fundraiser was under way and we wanted to get the chair ordered. They are very friendly and make us feel like family.

The chair is fairly heavy for me to lift but it fits in our Monte Carlo's trunk and lets Simon get stuff off the shelves when we go to the store and look people in the eye when talking with them. It is a very sturdy chair and he can wax and detail his Corvette himself, including the top, when he's using this chair. He is also able to help out with putting dishes away and other household tasks that you can't do from a sitting position. I can't imagine life without this chair.

An added bonus if you make the trip to Bridgeport, the Amigo scooter store is just a few miles down the road. We got him a scooter for taking "walks" to the local ice cream parlour.

We have just been meeting them in Saginaw. I haven't been to the actual store. They are really pushing for me to get the half power chair. Ick. I didn't like it at all. I felt out of control. Im not used to using a power chair and I found it annoying since Im more used to a manual.

Yeah they gave me the photo of me standing too..He didn't tell me he was going to make prints! Geesh..wish I would have done something with myself!

Im still not sure what I am going to do..I have tried doing different things around the house..Im too short still to change a light bulb. I could barely reach the sink to do any dishes, and thats about all I've tried so far. I just don't know..Sometimes I wonder if I just want a standing frame glider.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Standing Wheelchair

The manual standing chair is easy to use if you don't have any problems with your upper body. Simon's injury is at T-12 and he has no problem getting up and down. He really likes the chair a lot.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide. I think you would find the folks at The Standing Company easy to work with if you do get theirs. They are a great group of people.

mrsnomis

i have a standing chair from the standing company i agree its a great chair stand when and were you want but definitly big n bulky to heavy to load in the car and takes gettin used to i use it when not gpoin anywere and i have beat the walls up with it its a good way to stand though and can get stuff from kichen or werever my insurance paid for mine and the standing company was great to work with hope this helps mine is a manual by the way
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]