Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Own A Stand-up Wheelchair ? And I Like To Know What You Think Of It.

paramoto....could u please post pics. as u know in florida space is an issue. we would love to have a standing frame but we'd have to have a room just for work-out equipment. i figured a stand-up wheelchair would be more economical...could be wrong?

Stormie, a standing chair is definitely not more economical, if I understood correctly. A standing chair is a pretty expensive tool and for most not the first item in line in terms of necessities. A standing frame would be a lot cheaper and you would be able to stand just as well. Space is an issue, but I don't see the great savings in terms of space. Utilization and flexibility I believe are the main reasons why people buy standing chairs. A standing chair is used as a primary chair by a few people, but for most is a second chair for specific uses, some people just love them, I just haven't. Pictures will take me a while but I'll try to post them soon.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

If I am reading things right, the levo *lai* is 19 lbs, without wheels 13 lbs...or am I misreading this (last year I thought this chair weighed more than that but maybe there have been improvements since)? My son has a spazz I believe, it has suspension (as with the boing) so he is use to lifting a heavier chair. I remember the *lai* being a bit wider and heavier but nearest to what he had. He did get it in and out of his gst alright the couple times he tried.
    I too don't think it should necessarily replace a standing frame. What's the degree of a standing frame vs a standing chair, if memory serves me correct the chair offers 86 degrees in standing.
    The *lai* seems to be the standing chair that will offer him the most accessibility all around...giving him the opportunity to bend over and into an engine depending on his strengths now and as he gets use to it. Going up and down to move around the engine may not be a bad thing as standing in one position for any length of time can't be good for anyone ab or not.
    I hope mom here is right with the research I've done in these type chairs being the most accommodative standing chair there is for my son and technical college. Your opinions so far say yeah.
    Last edited by teesieme; 04-25-2006 at 12:18 AM.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

"I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Paramoto-
    I bought mine second-hand, although it had never actually been used, it was 5-6yrs old when I bought it in Nov. I paid $1700 for it. The gentleman that I purchased it from bought it when he lived in the UK and brought it with him when he moved to the US. He had blood pressure probs along w/his SCI and could never stand in it. He would pass out evry time he tried.

Stormie-
    If Jim is interested in wether or not one would work out for him, since we are so nearby, maybe we can meet up and he can test mine out for a lil bit...Lemme know and we can plan something, just IM me...

Tessie-
    My 18x18 Spazz weighs in at about 20lbs(without excess crap) and my Levo is significantly heavier than my Spazz. I do not have any suspension on my Spazz(it's the Boing that has full suspension and it adds about 4lbs) Has your son added a Boing suspension plate to his Spazz? I've been pondering the thought of contacting Colours to see if I could order one to do so, since the frame is exactly the same.... Anyway, I don't know the exact weight of the Levo that I have but it is DEF sig heavier than the Spazz. (For reference, MY Spazz {with excess crap} and Jadis' Boing weigh exactly the same) It stands pretty straight up, although I don't know the exact angle, 86 degrees sounds decently close though. If he's got decent trunk control, I could DEF see him being able to work in/on cars from it. It DOES however raise your height several inches....I am DEF sig taller when I'm standing in it...Something for him to keep in mind when looking at it. Seeing that he's taller, his footplate may be down a bit lower than I have to have mine, so it might not be AS BIG of a difference, but for me, it's major. I LOVE it, but I could see for working on cars, for an already tall person, it might present a logistical issue....

If y'all would like, I can take some pics of my Levo and me in it tomorrow or the next day so you can see it in use. Again, ask any questions you have and I will answer as best I can.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

OOPS, sorry...Broknwing~I'm thinking the kids spazz w/ suspension weighed around 24 lbs. I do remember being told it isn't an actual *Boing* chair, just the suspension added. They had to order it in this way for insurance reasons, what have you.
    Hare is 5' 9/10", I guess it could cause issues in that way but if he is able/or in need to support/lift himself back up with one hand and bend into the engine he should do alright for the most part. He has pretty decent trunk control and strong upper body strength (the kid is bench pressing something around 320 lbs. now, ummm, yeah making his mother crazeeeeee!), so I am hoping and praying as he gets use to this, he will gain strengths he just hasn't had the opportunity to use other than through sit ups, crunches with the abscissor and what have you.
    The suspension has been a good thing for the kid with the rough terrain of racing and hobbies of hunting, etc. country type life setting. I know it's helped in city life when he's been lifted up and down flights of stairs on 6th street or otherwise, LOL. Kids!!!
    Anyhow, thank you for sharing your experience and pics would be great! I am going to try and find where I had the total weight of his current chair w/ suspension and call Levo about the *Lai* just so we know. ~ T.
    Last edited by teesieme; 04-25-2006 at 01:55 PM.

I tried the Levo chairs at the abilities expo. I didn't like the fact that you were stuck when you were standing, when you were in the manual chair. I liked the fact that you could get around while standing or sitting or anywhere in betwen, in the power version.

Tessie-
    Hey, however he managed to get a "Boing" he got what he needed. It's nice to know that he got what I really wanna do to my spazz, further enforces my thought that I could just add the Boing axle plate to it(now i just need to call Colours and see about ordering one....)And 24lbs with suspension is 'bout right....

DANG!!! He's strong!!! Bench pressing that much? YIKES! WOW...Ok...now that i'm impressed, scared, etc....I think he'll be fine getting himself back to standing position from leaning into cars & such...It's possible that since I'm short(5'3") and had to raise the footplate, that I noticed the added height moreso than most would.

I'll try to get the pics taken asap so ya can see them.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Pictures of my Levo

Finally I was able to upload the Levo pictures. My cousin, who is smaller than me is on some of the pictures (he is able bodied). The back is a big Jay Contour back that I will install on my other wheelchair. Found the invoice. I bought the chair on March 4, 2004 from Coral Reef Medical Supply in Miami, Fl (305) 253-9800. I paid US$6,250.00 and it is called the Levo LAE, eventhough in the brochure I think they call it the Levo Active (maybe). It is 18 x 18.

Broknwng, man you got a really good deal. Congratulations. Regarding passing out, I think standing is something that you work gradually. I got real dizzy at first on those reclining tables at rehab. It is not pleasant.