Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the odds of getting SCI

What are the odds of getting SCI

Does anyone know what the odds are of getting an SCI in ones lifetime? They have got to be some pretty slim odds right? I ask because I would like to compare them to the odds of Mike walking again . Doc told us MIke has a 1% chance of ever walking again. I am hopeing that is better than his chances were of getting the stupid SCI in the first place??....

favorite movie quote.....

"more like one in a million"
    "so your saying there's a chance"

jim carrey - dumb and dumber
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Does anyone know what the odds are of getting an SCI in ones lifetime? They have got to be some pretty slim odds right? I ask because I would like to compare them to the odds of Mike walking again . Doc told us MIke has a 1% chance of ever walking again. I am hopeing that is better than his chances were of getting the stupid SCI in the first place??....
    I always wonder where doctors get these such-and such % chance of walking again figures?
    I was told after my operation that I only had a 2% to 5% chance of ever walking again. But I don't know how this figure was arrived at.

I don't understand what you mean by your last sentence

My own injury was very unlikely - I had a spontaneous bleed which compressed my spine. I understand that this is a pretty unlikely event, but no idea of figures.

Getting a SCI during your lifetime is a pretty low risk, although higher in some groups who have high risk factors (such as jockies or professional dirt bike racers). In the USA (and Brazil), there are 40 new spinal cord injuries per 1,000,000 population each year. This comes out to about 11,000 new injuries per year in the USA. This is closer to 20 new injuries per 1,000,000 population in Europe.

Quoting chances of walking again after a complete SCI is pretty worthless information for the person and their family. If it is 1% and you do get enough return, then it was not predictive, and if you don't it was worthless information. "Unlikely, but not impossible" is much more honest.

(KLD)

I understand. I was trying to be a little motivational with my husband and I was assuming that his chances of getting an SCI were a lot less that 1/100 and if the SCI chances were less than 1/100 than 1% sounded good to me. Don't get me wrong, I have come to terms with reality, but I try to stay positive.

What I mean is... If your chances of getting an SCI are 1 in 100,000 wow, those odds are pretty slim. If your chances of walking again are 1-100, those odds seem a lot better. Does that make sense??...
    Last edited by ChopperChick; 04-23-2006 at 03:34 PM.

I did find this information about recovery over the first year based on the initial ASIA category (formerly called the Frankel):

http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic425.htm

Take this with a LARGE grain of salt. Everyone is different, and it is impossible to predict who will improve and who will not early after the injury.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    I understand. I was trying to be a little motivational with my husband and I was assuming that his chances of getting an SCI were a lot less that 1/100 and if the SCI chances were less than 1/100 than 1% sounded good to me. Don't get me wrong, I have come to terms with reality, but I try to stay positive.

What I mean is... If your chances of getting an SCI are 1 in 100,000 wow, those odds are pretty slim. If your chances of walking again are 1-100, those odds seem a lot better. Does that make sense??...
    yes it makes perfect sense. I am a C6 quad incomplete but I can walk with crutches. Don't give up hope

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Getting a SCI during your lifetime is a pretty low risk, although higher in some groups who have high risk factors (such as jockies or professional dirt bike racers). In the USA (and Brazil), there are 40 new spinal cord injuries per 1,000,000 population each year. This comes out to about 11,000 new injuries per year in the USA. This is closer to 20 new injuries per 1,000,000 population in Europe.

Quoting chances of walking again after a complete SCI is pretty worthless information for the person and their family. If it is 1% and you do get enough return, then it was not predictive, and if you don't it was worthless information. "Unlikely, but not impossible" is much more honest.

(KLD)
    You have to be joking....That is a crazy stat....

I wonder if that stats Trauma induced, or also includes old people deseases?

I wonder if that stats Trauma induced, or also includes old people deseases?
    Not sure what "old people diseases" you are referring to. The most common cause of SCI in people over the age of 60 is falls (trauma). The numbers above include all causes of SCI (traumatic and non-traumatic) but do not include MS (which is often classified as a spinal cord disease). MS is the leading cause of neurologic disability in the USA for those aged 25-55.

(KLD)