Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They found a way to make esc-like cells from blood

They found a way to make esc-like cells from blood

Steven, what do you think?

New method invented for isolating, purifying embryonic-like adult stem cells in the blood

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:00 IST
    Los Angeles

Moraga Biotechnology Corporation, an adult stem cell company based in Los Angeles, California, discovered proprietary Blastomere-Like Stem Cells (BLSCs) circulating in the peripheral blood of mammals. The company's scientists found that these adult stem cells were able to differentiate into most tissues and organs of the body.

The company's scientists have developed a proprietary and cost-effective method for isolating and purifying large numbers of its primitive embryonic-like stem cells from the blood without ex vivo expansion. Moraga recently announced that its BLSCs were found in large numbers throughout the body. The company believes this new discovery is a major breakthrough for finding large numbers of primitive adult stem cells circulating in the blood.
    http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/det...rticleid=32872

"Into most cells" I wonder if these cells left us out?

There is unfortunately very little detail given and no way to judge the validity of this claim. http://www.moragabiotech.com/ Apparently, the company has found cells that appear to express cell surface markers that are expressed by spermatogonia (the cells that make sperm). The company is planning to develop a "bank" where such cells will be stored. According to its web site, the company plans:
    Tissue Banking

Having recently discovered a low-cost tissue isolation and purification process, Moraga is poised to take advantage of a business opportunity for banking both an individual's stem cells and an array of their tissues derived from the stem cells (BLSC differentiation). The Company will construct a database using the banked tissues and purified stem cells segregated according to age, sex, ethnicity, diseases, genotypes, and HLA-haplotypes and single nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs). This database and tissue bank would be of great value for drug developers who wish to pursue the pharmacogenomics and toxicogenomics of a particular disease category. Using the cell-based assay system, the drug developer can further optimize their lead compounds prior to entering costly clinical trials with a prospective drug.

Similar to companies storing cord blood for future therapeutic use, the Company will provide this service to the tissue donors for a fee in processing and annual storage of their cells. For example, the donor may use their stored cells at a future date as an alternative to a bone marrow transplant or possibly as an autologous cell-based therapeutic when the field of regenerative medicine has advanced to an approved, standardized clinical regimen.

Since BLSCs can be obtained from both living and cadaveric donors, the Company will also provide a stem cell bank for HLA-haplotype-matched engraftment of the cells when stem cell-based therapies are commercialized in the future. Based upon blood banking, blood transfusion, and bone-marrow transplantation models, Moraga is predicting that BLSCS or its derivatives can be implanted into patients who are closely matched in their tissue type without being rejected by the recipient’s immune system. If BLSCs can be used in allogeneic transplantation setting, it may be possible that BLSCs derived from less than a dozen different tissue donors could service the population for a cell-based therapeutic approach in the future.
    The company also sites a 2004 review article on adult precursor cells. http://www.moragabiotech.com/pdf/200...hemBiophys.pdf

wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 04-19-2006 at 09:49 AM.

I am not Steven.

This appears to be a company marketing a process of extracting stem cells from blood, cultivating and storing them for future use. This is not new, they developed a means to cultivate the cells in a manner that costs them far less so that they can profit from a vulnerable population. They have no cure. They have a means to isolate cells. Lots of places can do this. There is no therapy here, just cell production for USE in therapies. Therapies that have yet to be determined. Therapies that have yet to be approved by having clinical trials. All these people can do, is accept your blood sample, and cultivate your stem cells for a high out-of-pocket frivolously set price. The breakthrough is no longer cultivating the stem-cells it is how to get them to become what you want, do what you want, grow how and where you want and stop when you want them to stop. Neoplasm is easier to create with haphazard guesses than anything else. (my opinion) Source of cells is one debate, disposition of cells is another altogether.

Correction from further reading, right now they are marketing to research labs as a more economical way to procure adult stem cells. They seem to have the intent to market and store for individuals as well though. Beware.

Mary
    Last edited by 1 Fine Spine RN; 04-19-2006 at 11:25 AM.
    1FineSpineRN

It's good that they've streamlined their technique. Now, it's time to move on to bigger ideas...

howboutdis,

I would love this if it were proven true. It's incumbent on them to prove they're functionally equivalent to ESCs.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

hmmmmmmm

OK, i have posted this in the past but perhaps the company would like to see this as it has been claimed to have occured. Never hurts to ask...(sigh)

1. Blood is taken in large amounts, (one pint per week for three months) for the scientists to make sure that they had enough core blood cells.
    2. Test the blood cells for genetic defects and disease
    3. Cell division and replication begins.
    4. Six injections for myelin sheath stripping to prepare for the actual stem cell injections to come.
    5. After repeated replication the replicated cells were introduced to embryonic stem cells and replicated again.
    6. Once the replication process is finished, steroids are introduced to build the myelin sheath back up and to facilitate the growth of the cells.
    7. Antibiotics, anti inflammatory and steroids to keep the swelling down could be present.
    8. A steroid base to promote growth and strengthen muscles along the spine is also present.
    9. Twenty four injections along the spinal cord are injected using stem cells.
    10. Intense physical therapy is a key factor to re-educate the muscles.
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Susan, I always wonder where you got this process. I think the researcher needs to think it through a bit more. No offense intended, but I've wondered this for a long time now.

Injections of what to strip myelin sheaths? Ack.

Nobody's stripping my myelin sheaths unless they offer me something better than steroids to build them back up.

If steroids could do that, MS patients would have more options.

What cells are you replicating and introducing to esc, then when you replicate some more which one are you trying to produce? ESC or the other one?

I'm a lab tech, and I've never seen a core blood cell.

Betheny, you are not following Susan. She did not say steroids would build the myelin, she said stem cells would.

Her friend Dr. Hans knows how to rebuild myelin.
    Last edited by howboutdis; 04-19-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by howboutdis
    Betheny, you are not following Susan. She did not say steroids would build the myelin, she said stem cells would.

Quote from Susan:

"...steroids are introduced to build the myelin sheath back up and to facilitate the growth of the cells. ..."

Bob's not following.

But now I wonder, are the steroids introduced to the cell culture or into the patient's body?