Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes

Shoes

I just realized today (Two years and seven months to the day post) that I have only used one pair of black shoes that I bought after leaving the hospital, and my old tennis shoes that were so worn and comfortable that I still use them all the time.

I guess time has come to buy new shoes. I use shoes that tie down for every day and tennis shoes for the weekend. I used to be a 9 1/2 triple E (very wide shoes) and I am concerned about buying the right shoes, and giving them the right treatment (stretching or whatever) before I wear them. I do not like velcro tied shoes. Any tips? Did everyone go a size or 1/2 size bigger after the accident like they recommend in rehab, or do they still buy the same size? I do not think I have a major swelling problem, eventhough occasionally my feet do swell a little.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I went from a size 81/2 D to a 9 4E for the edema and found that few stores carry extra wide sizes. I get best results/selection from Hitchcock Shoes and on the internet. I think New Balance has the best selection of tennis/walking shoes in extra wide.

Thanks, never heard of Hitchcock shoes. Will look them up.

I would definitely recommend wearing shoes that are at least a size larger than your pre-SCI shoes. (I recently learned from a shoe salesman that each USA 1/2-size increment is only 1/16 of an inch.) A shoe that's too small poses a very real risk of causing a decubitus ulcer. Hardly worth the risk.

Nothing but New Balance for me....Wide, and lightweight...

tprewitt, Hitchcock shoes is an excellent site, and seems reasonably priced. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jayday9
    Nothing but New Balance for me....Wide, and lightweight...
    same here.. i went from a size 10, normal width to a 11 1/2 4e.. oddly enough stores stock these.. NB are always available in all colors and sizes..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

New Balance for me too!! I wear a 925 got what they called a roll bar??? not sure what that is but I use to wear a 12 A Now 13 EEE

I just skip shoes whenever possible and do barefoot routine. Sandals or flip flops if I have to.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    I just skip shoes whenever possible and do barefoot routine. Sandals or flip flops if I have to.
    I have smashed my feet and toes a few times and it just scares me to go around barefoot.