Thread: Antibiotic-cathether.

Antibiotic-cathether.

HEI
    I was visiting my rehab the other day,talking to a dr.about frequently UTI- ATTACS.
    She told me shortly of an catether who contains antibiothic.This for use as a "firestopper"when symphtons of uti is crawlin to your body.Any suggestions/experienses out there?

Urban/with another uti attac on my already f### up back

Do you use an indwelling catheter or do intermittent catheterization? These coated catheters are not for treated an infection, but some evidence is that they may help prevent an infection, at least in short term use.

Actual infections should be treated with oral or IV antibiotics, not by changing the type of catheter used.

(KLD)

Thank you for your answer.
    I cath once a day (morning)Normally its emptying itself,but i help out with some knocking on the blatter.
    I am not thinking of using this regularely,only when symphtoms appears.
    Now when i know this exist.Would you recommand it?
    Thanx Urban

Norvegian - What SCI-Nurse said is that when UTI symptoms appear it needs to be treated with an oral or IV antibiotic. Antibiotic catheters would indeed be for regular use in order to prevent UTI symptoms from appearing.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

In reply to Jeff--the bugs get used to any antibiotic so the antibiotic catheter would only work for a short time and then be useless at preventing UTI's. Personally I'm skeptical. I think the antibiotic catheters might work for someone who otherwise pees OK but needs a foley for a short time with surgery, for example. I don't think they will make the least bit of difference for a person with SCI who uses one chronically.

My $0.02 worth

RAB

RAB - Thanks.

A lot of people here use foleys somewhat randomly. Like once or twice a year when they travel. Sounds like there would be a useful application at least for them.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I used these during my last vacation. While I did come back with the same bacteria (but no infection) that I left with; it was not a bacteria that Nitrofurantoin kills. But since I ALWAYS get UTIS when using a foley for travel just knowing I came back without the normal little bugs I normally get I consider an improvement. They need changed every 6 days or so though as after that their effectiveness in testing was equal to untreated catheters.

So yes, to reduce the chances of picking up a UTI during occassional use of a foley I'd say from experience and the literature these are worth the few extra $$.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

This antibiotic impregnated catheter also comes in an intermittent type. Rochester is the manufacturer and it is a lovely shade of yellow! (EMK)