Thread: 2 the Floor and back in the WC..

2 the Floor and back in the WC..

Not sure where to post this topic but here goes..Anyone have a special way to get to the floor and back in there chair without harming are ever so precious butt.Maybe some diagrams on tranfers because to this date I`m afraid to try this type of transfer from floor to Wc.
    Another wc stunt is jumping the big curb so you dont end up on your backside..
    I took off my anti tip bars so if I make a mistake and no one is around im stuck on the ground!Any other wc tips would be great if you all would like to share them with us.
    Happy Trails Stiggy

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Stiggy, not to put you off but we've discussed floor to wc transfers at great lengths previously. Have you tried using the 'Find' function to do a search? What I will tell you is that good upper body strength is critical. More important then technique as there are many different ways to accomplish it.

As far as curbs and such, practice makes perfect. Start with a low curb and work your way up to the taller ones. If you've got good pinch and have your wheelies down pat it shouldn't be a problem easing down a higher step.

As a quad I don't have grip but I do have strong wrists/palms. For me I usually get a running start pop a low wheelie at the edge of the curb, lean back a little and let the speed / momentum take over. A little scary at first but speed and momentum are friends when I want to tackle bigger obstacles.

If this 40yr old can do it so can you.

Good luck.

I know there were post on this subject before..I just wanted some hints on floor transfers or maybe if someone knows of a book.
    Sorry for the post..Please dump it! Stiggy

"The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

stiggy, I seem to recall a publication on this subject... I am not sure when or where but I will try to find it. Perhaps the SCI-Nurses have a particular way that they favor? This must be something that they teach in rehab centers. Wise.

We've been working on this in outpatient therapy. The therapist has a book with diagrams in it, but I think Mr. Stickman in the pictures cheats.

I can't go from the floor to the chair, but I can get onto something lower, such as one of those mat thingys, and then to the chair.

We also worked on righting the chair if I had turned over backwards. I managed to do it once, but we didn't work on it for a while. We tried again a few days ago and I couldn't do it again.

I did fall out of my chair one night while I was home alone thanks to some nasty leg spasms. I was in my room, but I had left the cordless phone in the living room. I wouldn't have done me any good because the battery was dead though. I did managed to crawl into the living room, pushing my chair too, and I was able to get on the couch, and then into my chair.

I'd like to be able to get from the chair to the floor and back again though. I find it easier to stretch and do ROM on a flat surface rather than on a bed.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Stiggy, no need to yell.

In 5 minutes using the FIND function I found three threads that should be helpful in wc to floor transfers.

2 here in the Care forum and 1 in the Life forum.

Good luck, you're welcome.

I looked back over the post and I seen nothing in regards to yelling.Phebus said"Stiggy no need to yell"..I don`t yell at no one.The last time I got upset is when my hand controls broke while I was driving..Weeeeeeeeeee!
    Happy Trails Stiggy

Originally posted by Stiggy:

last time I got upset is when my hand controls broke while I was driving..Weeeeeeeeeee!
    Happy Trails Stiggy

Damn!!!!!!!!!!

ground to floor transfers

I get on my hands & knees, grab the back rest of the chair with my knees on the footplate, then I move one arm onto the cushion grabbing the frame with the other hand & turn over into the chair. It sounds really awkward & I probably did a poor job of describing it but I can get back into the chair in less then a minute this way. Works a lot better then the way they taught us in rehab.