Thread: Constipation and Spinal Cord Injury

Constipation and Spinal Cord Injury

Hi Friends,
    I am new to this forum, but i hope that this doesn't matter. Actually friends i want to know your views about constipation and spinal cord injury. I am a paraplegic since july 1997, but last year after my rehabilitation i was able to manage my bowels very well. i have to stimulate my anal opening to clear the bowels. Due to this stimulation the anal opening is slightly torn towards back. But since few weeks i am having constipation. Due to this constipation i have to stimulate it more vogourously but it is not working as before, and the condition of anal opening is further worsening as i also lubricate my finger before stimulating it. Actually the opening gets tightened due to spasms when bowels start descending and therefore it is unable to come out, therefore i have to relax the muscles and keep them open with my fingers to clear it. I am trying lot many ways such as i take cremafin daily very little dose to loose the bowels, also i take extra fibres but still i am not feeling comfortable.
    Please help me what should i do ?
    I would love if you people mail me directly i.e., considering me as your friend. Anyway i am a web designer and if you need any sort of help from me regarding web designing, it will be of great honour to me.

Bye

Dawinder Sehdev

dawinder, you should consider getting the anal tear (if it is torn) repaired. Do you take any laxatives? There are all sorts of ways that people do bowel routines, based on what works for them. Our SCI-Nurses and others may have suggestions concerning how to do it. Wise.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

dawinder, you should consider getting the anal tear (if it is torn) repaired. Do you take any laxatives? There are all sorts of ways that people do bowel routines, based on what works for them. Our SCI-Nurses and others may have suggestions concerning how to do it. Wise.
    Please tell me different ways of bowel management. As i am also trying different types of laxatives but i am not feeling comfortable as everthing fails if i keep continuing.

Thanks

Dawinder-
    You sound just like me, even the tear. What seems to work for me is:
    More fiber
    Stool softeners
    Exercise
    Water. All of this daily.
    Try switching lubricants. The one I used made the pain worse. Plenty of warm baths. Good luck.

You'd better get a big gun 'cause I'm not dead yet."
    ---The Bad Examples

If you are not drinking enough water with the extra fiber, it can cause constipation. The goal of a bowel program is to get in a regular routine, with stool easy to pass without causing injury to your body in any way. I don't know how often you do your bowel program, but it may need to be done more frequently. Have you ever used a suppository? Or do you just use the digital stimulation? I'm not sure what the medication you refer to is. A stool softener would be helpful. (EMK)

Just a small suggestion...this document will give you a lot of information about proper bowel management after SCI. I would suggest downloading it and printing it, and reading it carefully:

Neurogenic Bowel: What you should know

(KLD)

KLD, what a great little booklet. Everybody should read this. Wise.