Thread: Siatic nerve bruised - spasms stop? Anyone else?

Question Siatic nerve bruised - spasms stop? Anyone else?

This is kinda wierd... I usually have a lot of leg spasms and the spasms usually can create quite a bit of resistance in my hips to bend over or bring my knee up... I usually have to do it slowly and gradual to relax the spasm. The only good thing -- other than keep my muscles toned -- was that when I transfer with a sliding board from chair to bed the resistance makes it easier to keep my balance because as I lean over my legs push back to a certain degree and thus I don't just "flop" over and lose my balance or feel off balance... so as I push over they kinda push with me.

Well a week ago while doing some tri-weekly stretches with a morning care worker I musta over-stretched or something and pinched/bruised my siatic nerve on my left because in my butt, a bit to the side down the back of my leg where the siatic is, I could feel a bit of soreness. I thought nothing of it at the time, I figured a day or two it would heal. Well when I went to transfer to bed that night my leg was literally limp... next to no spasticity... I almost fell over on my face it was so unexpected. Once in bed I could still sense the irriation of the siatic.

Well its been a week and its still the same... irriation in the back (not a tonne, but noticeable like the sting if someone slaps your skin and it still smarts a bit a few seconds later)... and the spasms in that leg are still totally dead... and that kinda worries me because it seems odd the leg which normally is highly spastic would be very limp for that long.

Anyone experienced this before? Could it just be the bruised siatic is causing the leg to be limp?

I have pretty good sensation, I think I'd be able to tell if a muscle ripped or something "broke". Could it just be a bruised nerve?
    Last edited by RJC; 04-19-2006 at 02:25 PM.

RJC, this does not sound good. I think that your diagnosis may be correct but it needs to be confirmed with EMG tests. Peripheral nerves take a long time to recover, sometimes months. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by RJC
    This is kinda wierd... I usually have a lot of leg spasms and the spasms usually can create quite a bit of resistance in my hips to bend over or bring my knee up... I usually have to do it slowly and gradual to relax the spasm. The only good thing -- other than keep my muscles toned -- was that when I transfer with a sliding board from chair to bed the resistance makes it easier to keep my balance because as I lean over my legs push back to a certain degree and thus I don't just "flop" over and lose my balance or feel off balance... so as I push over they kinda push with me.

Well a week ago while doing some tri-weekly stretches with a morning care worker I musta over-stretched or something and pinched/bruised my siatic nerve on my left because in my butt, a bit to the side down the back of my leg where the siatic is, I could feel a bit of soreness. I thought nothing of it at the time, I figured a day or two it would heal. Well when I went to transfer to bed that night my leg was literally limp... next to no spasticity... I almost fell over on my face it was so unexpected. Once in bed I could still sense the irriation of the siatic.

Well its been a week and its still the same... irriation in the back (not a tonne, but noticeable like the sting if someone slaps your skin and it still smarts a bit a few seconds later)... and the spasms in that leg are still totally dead... and that kinda worries me because it seems odd the leg which normally is highly spastic would be very limp for that long.

Anyone experienced this before? Could it just be the bruised siatic is causing the leg to be limp?

I have pretty good sensation, I think I'd be able to tell if a muscle ripped or something "broke". Could it just be a bruised nerve?

Nuts... I was thinking so... it got a little better the last couple days but its still "limper" in terms of spasticity than normal... I guess I'll keep an eye on it for another week or 2 and take it easy as far as stretching and stuff and see if it improves....thanks for the reply