Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tires squeaking.......

tires squeaking.......

does anybody else have a problem with this? i have these vinyl tile floors an whenever its humid/rainy outside my tires squall on the floor. theres no way i could sneak up on anybody. its awful. they don't do it when its cold weather or i can shut the doors an turn on the AC an they quit. any ideas???

i have the standard tires on my chair......

Could always spray the tire once a week with Armourall

and rub it in, that would probabley get rid of the problem.

Don't wash to floors so well? Don't run over the dog.... Put sneakers on.... Don't move?....I have lotsof ideas, just not good ones

Keep the pressure right, thats usually my squek...but it sounds humidity related......

air them up to max capacity
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    air them up to max capacity
    agreed.

x3 -- i find mine start squeaking when it's time to air them up again.

x4.....I usually know that my tires are severely low on air when they start squeaking. (I don't pay enough attention to the chair getting more difficult to push until it's a bear...blondeness i tell you, blondeness....lol)
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    theres no way i could sneak up on anybody. its awful. ....
    Why sneak up???
    Just teach them to FEAR your very presence in the vicinity...THEN they won't being needing you to catch them in the act...

you could always UP the volume of your favorite sound/tv/radio/giant woodpecker/attack possum and drown out the squeaky tires

Come on, folks, give rollin64 some credit for probably already knowing that low tire pressure causes squeaky tires on tile! The question was about keeping them from squeaking when it's humid/rainy outside, which isn't dependent on tire pressure.

I'm not sure you can stop that, rollin, and even tires inflated to full capacity are going to squeak on a vinyl floor when there's enough humidity in the air. A little moisture makes rubber tacky (a lot makes it slippery, as we know). If you've ever played basketball pre-SCI or been to a game, you know that rubber soled basketball shoes squeak on the hardwood floor. While some sweat or water puddled on the floor will make a shoe slip like it's on ice, the same shoe becomes tacky with a little bit of moisture. When I used to play back in the day, some of us would lick our hands or spit on them then wipe the bottom of each shoe, quickly cleaning off some dust but leaving a little moisture for tackiness. And this was before Nike Air soled shoes, so no air pressure issues applied.

Rollin, the only suggestion I have is, assuming your tires are fully inflated, you'll need a different type of flooring, like hardwood or ceramic tile. Both will still sqeak a little with humidity, but less than most vinyl floors, I believe. In my experience, ceramic is the least squeaky. New tires with fresh tread might help, if your tires are old, but even then they'll squeak a little when it's humid, at least when turning.

I like CapnGimp's response.

Try a cleaning solution called: Bona-x That should help you're tire squeeking problem.