Thread: The Ideal Accessible Neighborhood

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Ideal Accessible Neighborhood

Wouldn’t it be cool if a developer would build an ideal, vibrant, “accessible” neighborhood?! Where all the houses have accessible floor plans, entrances, etc. ...and wide walking/ rolling sidewalks throughout. …Where plegics would be the norm, and businesses in the area would cater to us.

It would be so nice to visit friends and neighbors freely, without having to pre-plan getting in & out of their houses and having to consider whether you’ll fit it their bathroom should the need arise. ...And to have neighbors that can relate to the plegic lifestyle and all challenges paralysis presents.

I wonder if the demand is high enough for a subdivision like this to do well. I guess it would be difficult to keep it from becoming just another retirement community for geriatrics. Any thoughts?

I think suburbia is scary. Even Crip suburbia would be scary. Accessible Suburbia... a scary paradox.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

1 problem.......I only have 3 friends i visit in chairs let alone A suburb full. But truthfully, do you really want to be segragated from the mass population? Have you ever been to agroup home with disabilities? I couldn't live in that, I won't live like that. Remember we are a small part of an accessable community.

Theses things you wish for should be applied to the general community. Everything should be regular code, well all but the getting in and out part, geography's a bitch.

space....i think unless the entire community was privately owned/co-op type, there just would'nt be any way to keep non-sci's from taking over...and besides, without the challenges of of daily life in an a.b. world, i think most of us would just get fat n bored....

A local developer tried that idea. They built houses to R2000 specifications and fully accessible. They built 20-30 houses but sells were terrible. After about 10 years of tring this concept they finally gave up the idea and opened the development to houses of all floorplans and sells increased greatly.

It's a great idea and I don't understand why people didn't buy into these accessible homes.

Wouldn't it be better to have laws that require all new housing to meet visitability standards and put some teeth in ADA requirements for businesses and public places? Do you really want to live in a little disability ghetto? I thought mainstreaming was the ideal?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Wouldn't it be better to have laws that require all new housing to meet visitability standards and put some teeth in ADA requirements for businesses and public places? Do you really want to live in a little disability ghetto? I thought mainstreaming was the ideal?

(KLD)
    Yeah exactly, I lived in handicapped subsidized housing for a while and it was horrible. Everyone was so nosy and assumed you'de be friends yet being disabled was all we had in common.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

(KLD)
    Yes, it would have been nice but here it will never happen. I can't visit any of my friends and family, the shops are not accessible, and the Goverment only talk, talk and talk. It is a boring and lonely life and I would rather live in a disability ghetto. The Goverment has promised to put us in the antidiscrimination law but I wait and see what is going to happen.
    TH 12, 43 years post

About two years a ago here in Philly a group of disabled folks(I can't remember the org at the moment) put together and lobbied the local government to require all residential housing to be hadicapped accessible. It got a few councilmember's attention, but the building trades quickly put muscle on the politicians and it never got introduced as legislation.

I remember meeting with the group and thinking it was a ridiculous and expensive idea (I work as a legislative assistant) -

Obviously this was pre sci and I'm really embarrassed that I didn't pay much attention to their pitch.

needless to say I "get it" now.

However from a public policy/realistic standpoint - requiring all residential properties to be hadicap accessibly is very costly on both the governemt side and for property owners already being gauged by taxes and the like...

Great in theory though...