Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-usable Latex Free Leg Bags???

Re-usable Latex Free Leg Bags???

I have been using the latex free disposable leg bags for years now, ever since I started having problems with latex catheters. For years I used the ones the VA sent me, until they switched brands to one I just hated. Since then I've been buying my own, but I'm getting tired of paying for these basically flimsy bags that develop leaks after just a few days use. I also don't think they are able to be sanitized as well as a reusable leg bag can be, so I been replacing them after just a couple of days use. Needless to say that this is increasing the $$$.

I saw a add in the PN magazine a couple of months ago for a company that makes latex free leg bags, but now I can't find that copy anywhere. It must have landed in the circular file, lol. If anyone has the information about this company please post it here for me. I'm tired of paying for so many disposable leg bags.
    Linda H.

Are you just getting Medline vinyl leg bags? We used to have these, but like you say, they are flimsy and leak easily. At our VA we applied for a special dispensation from the BPA (mandatory product) for the completely latex free Hollister leg bag kits and that is what we use now for both inpatients and outpatients (I can get you the number if you need it). They are much better, can be cleaned, and will last at least a month. You can ask for these as a non-formulary request. If the bag you are getting is not the one prescribed by your SCI center, your local VA is required to provide you with the one that your SCI center prescribed for you.

(KLD)

KLD, I used the Hollister leg bags every day for a couple of years, but had to many accidents with their flip-flow valves opening unexpectedly. I finally got sick of winding up with soggy socks and shoes if you know what I mean. I still have a small supply that I use sometimes, mostly when I wear skirts and a UroCare thigh leg bag holder, less danger of accidents happening when adjusting my clothing. I prefer a leg bag with a twist valve, a much lower danger of accidental emptying.

The reusable latex free (they looked like a heavier clear vinyl) leg bags I saw were almost identical to the old fashioned latex bags. I wish I could find that copy of PN, it was within the last 6 months issues. If anyone here has held on to their old issues and can take another look through them I'd appriciate it a lot. I'm going to keep searching for them, and if I find them I'll post the information for here for anyone else interested.
    Linda H.

Linda, take a look at these:

http://www.allegromedical.com/urolog...eg_bag.P192416

We've used them for years; no latex, the backing is flannel, so it doesn't chafe the leg, and the straps are a heavy elastic.

Marmalady, I seem to remember using this one once many years ago. What I can't remember is what style emptying valve it has, have you had much trouble with them opening up by accident? How long do they last for you? At $6 a bag I"d hope you get at least a couple of weeks use from one. Chaffing isn't a problem for me, I use the UROCARE leg bag holders instead of straps. They also keep the leg bag from shifting around, and from drooping when full.
    Linda H.

Blog Entries
    these are what I have used for over 9 years....
    http://www.allegromedical.com/urolog...eg_bag.P192521
    a box of 10 lasts me about a year. I clean mine with a dilute solution of chlorox n water.
    twist valve OF COURSE, only way to go.
    they were out last time and sent same thing by Allegiance-dist. by Cardinal Heallth, no difference except the name.
    3 bucks each/box of 10-- $30 pretty cheap for a year
    I buy all my supplies myself, cheap and hassle free, online

I use the Mentor 1000cc Freedom legbag with a flip flow valve. I use a wide band legbag strap for the top. The lower part I use the regular strap that comes with the bag. To prevent accidients with the flip flow valve, I put an elastic band around the valve. It works, as I have had experence....when being hoyered to my bed from my chair I hit the valve with my shoe, and it was a piddlefest...ick! So the elastic around the valve has prevented this very well.
    I find the twist valves a real problem and end up with urine on my fingers and hands trying to manipulate them. Also I cannot always see if they are closed. With a flip valve, you can quickly see if it is open, and the elastic works well.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

Tweety, that a good ideal, I'll have to try that. Thanks.
    Linda H.

Linda, sorry - I forgot you wanted the twist valve; the ones we get are the flip valve. They do last a while, tho. Medicare pays for ours; one a week.

The Mentor bags with the T-tap drain are also nice. They are easy to open and I have never kicked one open or have one open accidentally any other way.