Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New C2 SCI in Jackson MS

New C2 SCI in Jackson MS

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this site. I am writing as I sit in our sons room here at the Shepherd Spine Center in Atlanta. Our son was in a car accident on Feb. 17, 2006. He is 19. He was living in NC at the time of the accident. He was in The Carolina Medical center in the ICU for 2 weeks, then was sent here to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta. When he leaves here, he will come back to MS to live with us. He broke his neck at C2 and is on a vent. They say he is incomplete so that gives us some hope that he will come off the vent, and maybe get some movement back. He does have some feeling and reflex, but no movement from th neck down. They are going to start doing the diaphramatic pacers here at the Shepherd Center some time in May. They put him on the list, so hopefully he will qualifiy and be a candidate. We are scared to death right now about caring for him in our home, but we are doing ok and getting more and more comfortable everyday with his care. He will be released from Shepherd on the 24th of April. From here he will go to the Methodist Rehab hospital in Jackson. The vent company wants us to train on their equipment in a hospital setting. They say he will be there about 4 days and then come home. Is there anyone in the Jackson area on this forum that is a SCI? We would love to hear from you and love to pick your brain for any and all information you can give us. We live in Ridgeland. Thank you in advance for any information that any of you can give us.

Welcome to the club that no one wants to belong to!

You are fortunate to be at Shepherd Center. Be sure you learn everything they have to teach you while you are there. We have other members here who have high injuries and are home on vents, so hopefully they will see your message and provide some personal information. Otherwise, ask any questions and we will try to help.

(KLD)

Very sorry to hear about your son's accident. It is good to
    hear that he has been classified as an incomplete this early in
    his injury. He has a long way to go before you know for sure what
    function he will be left with. I have a good friend who is a
    C3/4 incomplete and after 6 months, he was off the vent starting
    gait training. He also had no movement from the neck down
    when he first got hurt. I wish the absolute best for him.

Majed

Hi Suzie Q, thats great news. I am glad you are getting the pacer. Are you going to the Cleveland Clinic to have it done? Can I ask where you live? Good luck with everything and thank you for your words of encouragement.

so sorry for the accident of your son... it's always sad to hear of newly injured ppl. with SCI, but you are in a great facility. i too was in Shepherd 3 1/2 years ago. i do rehab at Shepherd 3x a week on M, W, and Fridays. i am not a vent-dependant quad, but a c5/6 complete. i would be more than happy to come by and offer any info. that might be of help to you, your son and the rest of your family. good luck..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Hi Jazzyjeff, that would be great if you could come by and see Adam, he is in room 215. We leave to go to MS on the 24th, so if you could come by this week that would be great! Can't wait to meet you!
    Doris

hey Doris, i'll be by Wednesday around lunchtime or just after. keep using the search option here on the home page and don't hesitate posting specific questions either. we are a very diverse community with an absolute ton of info. can't wait to meet you guys too. jeff

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Sorry to hear about your son. I really hope he improves. Keep strong ddjdiver.

hey ddjdiver, when i was in rehab i had some friends who were high level, at the start no return at all but by the time they left they had enough function to operate a motorized wheelchair with their hands, they also got off the vent. Make sure to keep giving him hope of recovery. The doctors always want to think negative about things but the positive is what keeps you going. Goodluck and I wish your son the best of recovery.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Thanks Mr. Coffee. I just took a look at all your pics. You are a cutie! Thanks for the words of encouragement. You are doing awsome and I am so impressed by your determination. You are a great inspiration. Good luck with everything.