Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conceivable Scripts for Legislator Visits

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    I differ with your assessment of the issue last year Faye. If you had been on top of things last year, you would have already known that Billarikis was a CRPA sponsor and was anti-ESC.

You almost cost the CRPA a bi-partisan sponsor. Having been on last years committee, you should have known he sponsored the CRPA. I believe you called regarding Stem Cell issues? even though you had a face to face appt?

Don't play innocent. This is one case that being a non-team player almost had devestating consequences!

Guess this year you don't have to worry about calling when Dana is in the office
    Oh my God, you are making some major assumptions.

I never called about ESCR, just to invite him to speak at the Cure Paralysis No Spring Into Action Rally. Remember I was the one who invited the speakers to the rally last year?!?!?!

Nice try!

You are giving me far too much power.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

edited, reply not worth the effort to type.
    Last edited by cheesecake; 04-17-2006 at 10:50 AM.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Huh. I thought Faye made that phone call to get the list of CRPA co-sponsors from Bilarakis' office, because Bruce Downey wanted her to.

Oh well, doesn't matter now.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye

Dr. Young, forget about redirecting me to "my" 22 legislators in FL. Last year when I called Billirakis, I was told I shouldn't have, even though he is one of my FL representatives.

Somehow I must have been clairvoyant according to one of your moderators, because I called just as Dana Reeve walked into his office..............., a real boo boo on my part.
    Faye, will you read what I have written, please? Have you looked into the positions of your senators and representatives? A lot of groundwork needs to be done.

Please, it is not true that you cannot find out their positions. For example, over 430 representatives voted on both SCREA and the Weldon bill in the last two years. You can look up their votes and sponsorship of each of the bills, including the so-called "Respect for Life..." bill sponsored by Bartlett. Every senator and most representatives have a list of their votes and positions on their web site. Wikipedia has detailed descriptions of their positions and votes. You can look up their speeches. If you really can't find out, which would be very rare, a phone call often can get the information. If the person truly doesn't have a position, that is important to know.

I have done so for all the people that I intend to visit. Have you?

Wise.

Dr. Young, I haven't decided I will travel to Washington this year. I might just use the money I would have spent to make a donation to Dr. McDonald's NTT project.

Also I need to save up for the Empowering the Pro-Cures Coalition Summit, which is taking place at Stanford University, June 9-11.

http://www.genpol.org/summit.htm

I have been quite involved in politics and know how to look up votes and co-sponsorships on Thomas, so don't worry about me..........., my long time accomplishments in advocacy speak for themself.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Dr. Young, I haven't decided I will travel to Washington this year. I might just use the money I would have spent to make a donation to Dr. McDonald's NTT project.

Also I need to save up for the Empowering the Pro-Cures Coalition Summit, which is taking place at Stanford University, June 9-11.

http://www.genpol.org/summit.htm

I have been quite involved in politics and know how to look up votes and co-sponsorships on Thomas, so don't worry about me..........., my long time accomplishments in advocacy speak for themself.
    I am sorry to hear that you are considering not coming to the Rally but am glad to hear that you will be attending the Pro-Cures Coalition Summit. Yes,

I know that you are an experienced advocate, which is why it puzzles me so much why you said that one sometimes cannot know the positions of representatives.

Two weeks from now, people will be facing their representatives and senators in Washington DC. They need to start making appointments with them and preparing their pitches, to start thinking about how they will approach them and to make the best case possible.

Thanks.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I know that you are an experienced advocate, which is why it puzzles me so much why you said that one sometimes cannot know the positions of representatives.

Wise.
    I am not sure about the position of You, Steven, or other moderators, even though they post here all the time. It was refreshing to hear Curt Leatherbee speak up for what he believed in. His point was clear.

My position-I am in favor of CRPA and SCREA. I will not be speaking to my Congressmen about SCREA. If you know anything about them, you'll know why. They-particularly Sen. Coburn-are rabidly opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    My position-I am in favor of CRPA and SCREA. I will not be speaking to my Congressmen about SCREA. If you know anything about them, you'll know why. They-particularly Sen. Coburn-are rabidly opposed.
    What have you done to promote esc research if you are for it? Or do you use one congressman from OK as something to hide behind?

Question - I'm new to posting, and still have a great deal to learn....

In terms of this rally in DC...has anyone/group sought the help or advice from any lobbying firms to help navigate the political terrain???