Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Democratic Majority in House Means Jack for Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act

Democratic Majority in House Means Jack for Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act

I read a message the other day that said if Democrats win a net +15 seats from Republicans this year, they will win control of the House. The inference was that a Democratic majority would give us the upper hand with the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act (SCREA) if/when Bush vetos the bill.

For those who may not know, I prefer basing my decisions on reality instead of what I want to happen. I'm boring like that.

Anyway, I decided to check things out. The House currently has 231 Republicans, 201 Democrats, 1 Independent, and 2 vacancies. [source] A net change of +15 seats would give Republicans and Democrats equal representation in the House.

Say Democrats win a net +16 seats and control of the House this year. Would that give SCREA supporters the two-thirds majority they need to override a Presidential veto? Let's check.

Roll call votes show that 180 Republicans voted against the SCREA when it passed last year, while 50 voted in favor of it. Interestingly, 14 Democrats voted against the bill. [source]

In order to override a Presidential veto, SCREA supporters need to reduce the 194 'Nay' votes to 144 or fewer. If the main focus is to remove Republicans to gain support for the SCREA, then 50 Republicans need to be replaced in this year's election with pro-SCREA Democrats.

Just make sure the 50 Republicans are the ones who voted against the SCREA. Otherwise, a Democratic majority won't mean jack.

I think there's a low probability of this happening, so I have decided to focus on other things.

DISCLAIMER: This message is not meant to persuade anyone on what to support. It is meant to provide accurate, complete information so that people can make more informed decisions.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Steven you forgot to mention that many of those republicans who voted no will now vote yes.

Source please?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act passed on May 24, 2005 by a margin of 238 - 194!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Source please?
    Source please on no possibility of other Frist/Talent type turnarounds in other republicans? The political climate is GOOD for this to happen.

Seems you like the status quo.......... of fixating on the Nays. Lets look at the actual vote and savor the overwhelming margin already established in the House, which can only get better:

Quick Info
    H.R. 810: StemCellResearchEnhancementAct of 2005
    Last Action: Read the second time. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 119.
    Status: Passed House (93% of Democrats supporting, 79% of Republicans opposing.)

Rep. James Langevin [D-RI]: </IMG>Mr. Speaker, I rise in strong support of H.R. 810, and I want to acknowledge the bipartisan effort that has gone into this legislation and the incredible grass roots movement that has built support for this groundbreaking medical research. It has been inspirational to see so many Members putting aside politics and partisanship to address this issue which affects the lives of millions of Americans.

Mr. Speaker, I am one of those Americans. At age 16, I was an Explorer Scout in my hometown police station. One afternoon, in the police locker room, a gun accidentally discharged. The bullet severed my spinal cord, and I have been paralyzed ever since.
    This experience shapes my perspective in so many ways. Above all, it has given me tremendous appreciation and respect for life. My life as a quadriplegic is filled with challenges and obstacles, yet I am grateful for every minute. This gratitude has become a passion, and it has motivated me to help create a culture that values and protects life from its beginning to its end.

To me, being pro-life also means fighting for policies that will eliminate pain and suffering and help people enjoy longer, healthier lives. And to me, support for embryonic stem cell research is entirely consistent with that position. What could be more life-affirming than using what otherwise would be discarded to save, extend, and improve countless lives?
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/reco...&person=400067

The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act passed on May 24, 2005 by a margin of 238 - 194.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Source please on no possibility of other Frist/Talent type turnarounds in other republicans?
    That's not what he said. That's a miniscule possibility. It's highly doubtful that 50 people who voted in opposition will change their minds.

Seems you like the status quo.......... of fixating on the Nays.
    I do enjoy fixating on reality. It helps me not get emotionally crushed when what I want to happen fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    I do enjoy fixating on reality. It helps me not get emotionally crushed when what I want to happen fails.
    Thank god everyone doesn't think like that, or they still might not be trying to cure spinal cords.

Quote Originally Posted by howboutdis
    Thank god everyone doesn't think like that, or they still might not be trying to cure spinal cords.
    are you this dense in person?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    are you this dense in person?
    I'm just curious why he didn't respond to my (perfectly sensible) questions in the other thread, yet he responds so readily here.

Scott-personal attack
    Steven-off topic,hijacking

Please allow me to have my opinion

Oh quit whining.

Re: Steven, can a pilot hijack his own plane? This is his thread. If anyone is doing any hijacking, it's me, and I could care less if this post gets moved. You're annoying.