Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conceivable Scripts for Legislator Visits

Conceivable Scripts for Legislator Visits

Though I am well aware that the CRF will provide their preferred scripts at legislator visits, Dr. Young's brainstorming on how to handle a conversation with some legislators, both ESCR opponents and proponents, got me thinking how other groups might be handling similar situations.

As we all know they usually have a mini-menu of:
    1. The Stem Cell Research Enhancement act
    2. Their medical condition specific research funding
    3. Their medical condition quality of Life measure

For SCI 2. and 3. are covered by CRPA.

Given an etremely changed political landscape with many republicans wanting to distance themselves from GWB, this is a very opportune time to ask our legislators to support the SCREA.

With an ESCR opponent, a possible scenario could be:

As you know the majority of americans support federal funding for embryonic stem cell research and we do too. Though the SCREA is unfunded it will still be an important measure to scientists and patients alike in that it will be easier for those scientists to secure private funding.

We are aware that you have expressed reservations about supporting the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, so maybe you can still help us by becoming a co-sponsor of the CRPA..........( explain what the CRPA is about).

This way you've clarified that you are yourself a supporter of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, AND you've given them an opportunity to help you in a different way.

In essence you are killing two birds with one stone:

1. You are letting them know the the majority in the SCI community favors the SCREA

2. You are inviting/embarrassing them into supporting you on a different piece of legislation that supports SCI research: the CRPA

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Faye, I suggest that this be done on an individual legislator basis. Wise.

Well, that would mean over 500 different scenarios.

I think we can simplify it down to maybe five different options.

1. Democrat - Pro-SCREA, will likely be pro-CRPA

2. Democrat - Anti-SCREA, for religious or political reasons will likely be pro-CRPA

3. Republican - Pro-SCREA, will likely be pro-CRPA

4. Republican - Anti-SCREA for political reasons, will likely be pro-CRPA

5. Republican - Anti-SCREA for religious reasons, may be anti-CRPA because it is associated with Christopher Reeve's pro=ESCR advocacy.

Avoiding talk about the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act for 1. through 4., makes absolutely no sense.

Even with 5., if presented sensitively, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act can be brought up by simply stating:

Like most representatives of Patient Groups, we are in favor of the Stem Cell Research Emhancement Act.
    Though we already know you are not supportive of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, you can really help us by co-sponsoring the CRPA...........and then spend time explaining the CRPA.

Most of the time we will be meeting with an Aide and it really is VERY unnecessary to avoid the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act.

For example my representative John Mica's aide Mike Cosio, is very supportive of ESCR using cells that will be discarded anyway at the IVF clinics.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    In essence you are killing two birds with one stone:

1. You are letting them know the the majority in the SCI community favors the SCREA

2. You are inviting/embarrassing them into supporting you on a different piece of legislation that supports SCI research: the CRPA
    I agree that this is a reasonable thought process Faye, but there's nothing to back up the statement that the majority favors the SCREA. When looking at the numbers of how many people live with SCI, where's the data demonstrating majority support?

On another note, I'd be careful about stepping into a position w/ this event that isn't yours to take.

Faye, may I suggest that you start by focussing on the 22 representatives and senators from your own state? Details are important.

Wise.

Faye~
    You totally missed my representative, Pro ESC but anti-CRPA because he does not support disease/group specific policy.

Please let each of us figure out the best approach for those who represent us in our home districts. They do have to answer to us and our wishes.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Faye~
    You totally missed my representative, Pro ESC but anti-CRPA because he does not support disease/group specific policy.

Please let each of us figure out the best approach for those who represent us in our home districts. They do have to answer to us and our wishes.
    Thank you for pointing out a sixth option.

Many won't really know their representative's position ahead of time, but how you talk about the CRPA probably won't vary by legislator.

Yet how you talk about the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act probably will vary.

Only in the case of situation 5. sensitivity and brevity will be important, so as not to compromise their possible support for the CRPA.

Young does ASCR.

Many won't really know their representative's position ahead of time, but how you talk about the CRPA probably won't vary by legislator.
    I beg to differ Faye, many if not all who are making the journey, have written, callled and talked to their Senators and Congressmen before.

In all cases, keeping it brief, to the point and the issues focused is important. Let them know what your passion is, what you are looking for, but most importantly how it impacts you, your life and your family.

Act as if your life depends on it! It does......

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    I beg to differ Faye, many if not all who are making the journey, have written, callled and talked to their Senators and Congressmen before.

In all cases, keeping it brief, to the point and the issues focused is important. Let them know what your passion is, what you are looking for, but most importantly how it impacts you, your life and your family.

Act as if your life depends on it! It does......
    Dear cheesecake, you may write, call and talk to your legislators all you want, if they are undecided, you may not know why..........

Many will keep telling you they'll look into it.........., just string you along.

Dr. Young, forget about redirecting me to "my" 22 legislators in FL. Last year when I called Billirakis, I was told I shouldn't have, even though he is one of my FL representatives.

Somehow I must have been clairvoyant according to one of your moderators, because I called just as Dana Reeve walked into his office..............., a real boo boo on my part.
    Last edited by Faye; 04-17-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Young does ASCR.

I differ with your assessment of the issue last year Faye. If you had been on top of things last year, you would have already known that Billarikis was a CRPA sponsor and was anti-ESC.

You almost cost the CRPA a bi-partisan sponsor. Having been on last years committee, you should have known he sponsored the CRPA. I believe you called regarding Stem Cell issues? even though you had a face to face appt?

Don't play innocent. This is one case that being a non-team player almost had devestating consequences!

Guess this year you don't have to worry about calling when Dana is in the office