Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Conceivable Scripts for Legislator Visits

Good work Steven.
    I have not done much at all. Other than try to learn more about it. My father has though. He has called many legislators, speaks about it to everyone he meets, unlike here, many people have been receptive to the conversation, and many have changed their minds, he fills out polls, writes emails and would loved to have gone to a ESC Rally from this community. I would have also.

Why compare?

If someone is more active does that mean everyone else should march behind?

Betheny - that's great to hear. I work in politics and have seen first hand the power of lobbyists!

Quote Originally Posted by howboutdis
    Good work Steven.
    Why thank you. With this new knowledge, do you still believe I am one of the enemies?

BTW, Don also credits me with helping to get the Roman Reed Act passed. As you may know (Don loves this fact), the Roman Reed Act helped helped fund the first hESC based research aimed at curing a disease in the US (could be just SCI, can't recall the exact attribution).

I have not done much at all. Other than try to learn more about it. My father has though. He has called many legislators, speaks about it to everyone he meets, unlike here, many people have been receptive to the conversation, and many have changed their minds, he fills out polls, writes emails and would loved to have gone to a ESC Rally from this community. I would have also.
    Thank you for the honesty. Are you over 18 yet? May I ask if you would love to attend a rally that supports paralysis research?

Why compare?
    It's good to compare methods used and the results they deliver. It allows you to refine future advocacy attempts so they are more effective, as the CRF has done with the advocacy plan for the CRPA this year.

If someone is more active does that mean everyone else should march behind?
    Not necessarily, but it may mean they are more experienced and their advice is worth listening to.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

BigB/BigB jnr , Quote '' Why compare?

If someone is more active does that mean everyone else should march behind?''Unquote .

You are the one started this . You are marching time , not marching anywhere . Until you have actually done something , do not criticize others efforts . You have still not answered my questions , but I never expected you to .
    Every day I wake up is a good one .

I originally put this in another thread, but it may get viewed more here...

I contacted the Reeve Paralysis Foundation about why the CRPA has languished in Congress for the last 4+ years. Here is the response:

There is nothing controversial about the legislation, and no one person is standing in the way of the bill's consideration. The big problem is making this bill a priority in light of the many priorities in Congress these days. This time around, your ask to Members of Congress should be:

Senators: "Please urge Senator Enzi (Chairman of the Senate HELP Committee) to consider the CRPA this Spring, and Senator Frist to bring the bill to the floor for a vote."

Representative: "Please urge Chairman Barton (Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee) to consider the CRPA as a 'stand-alone' bill this Spring."

You should appeal to your Members of Congress to make passage of this legislation a priority. To cement the legacy of Christopher Reeve as a strong advocate for research, rehabilitation and quality of life programs for all people living with paralysis.

With the media, you can focus on the divisiveness in Congress and why this non-controversial, bi-partisan bill should be considered in Congress to bring the parties together.

Back to my soapbox...
    It amazes me congress can mobilize to reunite a wounded soldier and her bomb-sniffing dog, but the same Congress won't show similar compassion for the 70+ soldiers that have been severely paralyzed due to the "War on Terror".

Air Force Tech. Sgt. Jamie Dana was reunied with her dog by language inserted in a defense appropriations bill, but all of congress knew about the story.

Anyway, it will take YOU telling your story to the Legislators in DC to change minds and get the CRPA voted on and passed in 2007.

See everyone on May 2nd!
    scott

also, the economic aspect/impact of paralysis should be stressED when talking with your Legislators.

When I met Senator Lautenberg (D-NJ) after last year's rally, HE brought up that point on his own. The government is spending billions of dollars on the effects of paralysis, but not even a fraction of that money to cure it. I wish we had more in DC like him.

Did you not ask CRF about the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act also?

Quote Originally Posted by SlomoScott

I contacted the Reeve Paralysis Foundation about why the CRPA has languished in Congress for the last 4+ years. Here is the response:

There is nothing controversial about the legislation, and no one person is standing in the way of the bill's consideration. The big problem is making this bill a priority in light of the many priorities in Congress these days. This time around, your ask to Members of Congress should be:

Senators: "Please urge Senator Enzi (Chairman of the Senate HELP Committee) to consider the CRPA this Spring, and Senator Frist to bring the bill to the floor for a vote."

Representative: "Please urge Chairman Barton (Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee) to consider the CRPA as a 'stand-alone' bill this Spring."

You should appeal to your Members of Congress to make passage of this legislation a priority. To cement the legacy of Christopher Reeve as a strong advocate for research, rehabilitation and quality of life programs for all people living with paralysis.

With the media, you can focus on the divisiveness in Congress and why this non-controversial, bi-partisan bill should be considered in Congress to bring the parties together.

Back to my soapbox...
    It amazes me congress can mobilize to reunite a wounded soldier and her bomb-sniffing dog, but the same Congress won't show similar compassion for the 70+ soldiers that have been severely paralyzed due to the "War on Terror".
    Scott, nice and effective script on the CRPA. Thanks for sharing!!

In case you missed it there is a group out there representing the most recent paralyzed soldiers: Iraq/Afghanistan Veterans for Cures at www.IVCure.com

They need our support big time! As I've reported before: Senator Martinez made time to step out of his office to greet some visiting Vets, but was unwilling to meet with our Florida contingent on the CRPA last year.

By supporting Iraq/Afghanistan Veterans for Cures, we will appeal to the legislator's patriotism and help ourself at the same time.

BTW, did you not ask about the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act talking points also?

Same thing is true there as Don Reed to eloquently puts it in his column today:

Stem cell research is driven by ordinary people who got tired of accepting the way things are. We don’t want our loved ones to go on suffering, and we fight to protect them.

We don’t have to be heroic as a little girl in the snows of Donner Pass, or her father who kept coming back, or her mother who was willing to be left behind to die—to give her child a chance.

For us, the challenge is more like chores, grinding repetitive work, more letters, more phone calls to recalcitrant Senators, that kind of small but vital advocacy effort-- not forever, probably just another 18 months, maybe two years—but if we can do it, if we can just keep struggling on, we can change the world for the better.

Like that family, we will fight, we will go on, and we will prevail.

We will fight in the battle to pass HR 810: the battle to loosen President Bush’s overly-stringent restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.

We will go on with the effort to protect Prop 71, from whatever avenues the attacks may come, until the CIRM is safe, and accepted.

We will prevail in the life and death struggle to keep the forces of entrenched ignorance from banning SCNT and chimeric research.
    http://www.stemcellbattles.com/
    Last edited by Faye; 04-18-2006 at 01:39 PM.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Back to my soapbox...

Air Force Tech. Sgt. Jamie Dana was reunied with her dog by language inserted in a defense appropriations bill, but all of congress knew about the story.

Anyway, it will take YOU telling your story to the Legislators in DC to change minds and get the CRPA voted on and passed in 2007.

See everyone on May 2nd!
    scott

Thank you, Scott. This is great information. The Christopher Reeve Foundation professional lobbyists know what they are doing. I am confident in their ability to guide the presentation of the CRPA to give it the best chance possible to be passed in 2007.

Faye
    I didn't ask about the STREA because my initial focuse was "Why hasn't the CRPA ever made it out of committee?"
    In ALL of my correspondence with ANYONE when I discuss the CRPA I ALWAYS make a point mention that the Bill makes no mention of ANY cellular research. I feel that CR will forever be linked to ESC. Since HR1554/S828 bears his name, people automatically (and ignorantly) assume it has a stem cell agenda. I inform them it does not and ask they decide to support it based on it's merits and common sense approach to solving a problem that does exist.

I fully support the SCREA, and I contacted all of my legislators last year when it was introduced. I am lucky to have 3 men in Washington that are like-minded, all are registered co-sponsors of both SCREA and CRPA. However, I am still going to DC to request they take action to bring the CRPa to a successful vote.

I echo the beliefs of others in his thread that the SCREA and the CRPA are important Bills, but they should remain mutually exclusive. The CRPA was written specifically NOT to contain research directives because that would impede it's passing a vote. I believe we do the Bill a disservice by linking the two.

With that said, if you can educate your Legislators on both Bills, yet maintain the integrity of the CRPA, I believe that would be a good use of a given oppertunity. I must stress that you should approach it as 2 seperate meetings. Bring a letter and supporting documentation for the CRPA, explain it, then indicate you have another Bill you'd like to discuss that has personal significance to you. Then present them with a different letter and supporting documentation for the SCREA.

Just my $.02
    scott

Faye

With that said, if you can educate your Legislators on both Bills, yet maintain the integrity of the CRPA, I believe that would be a good use of a given oppertunity. I must stress that you should approach it as 2 seperate meetings. Bring a letter and supporting documentation for the CRPA, explain it, then indicate you have another Bill you'd like to discuss that has personal significance to you. Then present them with a different letter and supporting documentation for the SCREA.

Just my $.02
    scott
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Hopefully many others will approach both bills similarly. The word needs to go out from the sci community on both bills.

Thank you for your contribution to the Paralysis Cure effort! I look forward to possibly see you again in DC.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl